• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need to put on weight.

Nutmeg

New Kit
Our bunny (Nutmeg - Dwarf Rex) is recovering from E. Cunniculi. She had 2 lots of Panacur over 36 days. It seems to have halted it (touchwood), though she's lost some back leg function (she can walk about fine, but sometimes stumbles climbing up things and if she runs it all goes a bit wonky!). My question is that now she's got her appetite back (thank goodness, she was literaly skin and bones - I mean that quite literally - her skin is too big for her now poor thing. She was a little overwieght and that may have saved her life actually) and tucks into lettuce, carrots, dandelion etc on top of her pellets, what would people reccomend to put wieght back on. She scoff slettuce and the like when you give it to her (and mint from our garden), but we just can't get any wieght on her (of course- the stuff rabbits like is the stuff we humans eat to diet!) - since I can't get her to eat greggs pies or fish & chips (calm down, I haven't really tried those things :lol: ) , what can I give her to get some body weight back on? Any thoughts anyone?

Porridge - just a teaspoonful soaked in warm water daily will get that weight back on before you can say 'oh my goodness, that's working well'. Also, if your bun is used to banana, you can mash a little slice of banana into the porridge too, and that is also nice and fattening, and jolly tasty according to everybun I've ever used it on!

As with all things, start cautiously though, don't want to cause more problems by upsetting tummies :)

It is best not to overload her with carbohydrates so increasing her protein may help. Dried grasses eg Readigrass have a high protein content. But as with all foods anything new must be introduced gradually.

Some people feed Porridge Oats to put weight on a thin Bun. Personally I try not to use them as they are high in carbohydrates which can cause GI disturbances. Any weight gain needs to be worked at gradually as overfeeding can cause more problems than it resolves.
A variety of good quality hay, a breeder/grower pellet feed such as that made by Allen and Page plus some Readigrass and veg would be what I would opt for to try to improve Buns condition.

Good luck :)

I have two bag-of-bones foster rabbits at the moment and a skinny snuffle bunny who basically are being fed concoctions I wouldn't dream of feeding to a healthy rabbit but they are working.

I use:

*Mushed pellets mixed with hot water & either a teaspoon of apple sauce or fruit baby food
*Wheat-a-bix
*Stale brown bread or a little brown toast
*Carrots
*Banana
*Crushed, unsalted, peanuts
*Porridge oats
*Raisins & dried apple
*Ad-lib Ready Grass in addition to hay

You can also offer a higher protein pelleted feed such as Excel if it dosn't upset your rabbits ceacal production

All of thses foods have been introduced carefully into the diet and I balance out the sugary foods so as not to cause a disturbance in the gut flora. They don't have all of the above every day. The two foster bunnies especially appreciate the hot food, being outside in the cold weather.

Back