• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head tilt. on the slide again.

janjan

Alpha Buck
:? Diggers head tilts back again more tilted today. Hes been on panacur for weeks now. Hes had 4 tubes at [ 2 lines], as hes a big bunster.
What do i do now ?
Any idea's anyone, i was going to re order more paste, as i am coming to the last of the tube, but if he has to be on it for life it's going to be expensive.
Or will he recover and not need anymore?
Looking at him today i dont think so. I just want him to get the best treatment i can give him he had such a horrible start in his life. :(

You can use Panacur 10% oral solution for dogs & cats on rabbits at a dose rate of 0.2ml per kg. It costs about £10-13 for a 100ml bottle.

It shouldn't be given for life but the usual course for a active EC infection is 28 days to 6 weeks.

Has an inner ear infection been ruled out? Is he receiving any other medication such as anti-inflammatories?

Has he had any anti-inflammatories? It is inflammation within the CNS that causes the tilt and Panacur wont address that.
If the tilt resolved but has now returned then you need to consult your Vet again. There may be a bacterial infection (in the middle ear) going on too and if so antibiotics will be required.

Good luck :)

Ear infection ruled out, from vet at time of onset.
Digger must have been on panacur for over 6 weeks by now. His head went back to normal , but did notice him looking more at things in garden with the 1eye more. So i did think he may have become blind in the other, as in his area in shed he sleeps in, if his tilted side is facing me if i put more hay in his bed he grunts as if startled, on not seeing my hand go near him, which didn't occur before.
Vet gave only 9 days panacur, i increased to 6 weeks.
Do you think i should take him back to vets?
She did give him a good check over at the time, but not sure if they are very rabbit savvy, more basic i thought as on both visits i took both buns for different things wrong at time they left me last in to see the vet, and dogs and cats first. :censored: even though our appointments before some of them.

So apart from Panacur the vet didn't prescribe him with any other medication?
If so I suspect this is why he has relapsed, he needs something to relieve the inflammation.

Thanks Sooz and Jane. I will take him to a different vet. I wasn't entirely satisfied with them at the time, so not surprised he's relapsed.

Thanks Sooz and Jane. I will take him to a different vet. I wasn't entirely satisfied with them at the time, so not surprised he's relapsed.

If you ask about there are a few midlands members on here who could probably recommend a good rabbit vet to you. :)

My vet only gave me 10 days panacur for my bunny! Iv got some n order from vetsUK so im going to take it upto 28 days!

Only just seen this thread, how is digger? My boy was panacured for 6 weeks, but he still has head tilt, so it doesnt always rectify itself!

My vet only gave me 10 days panacur for my bunny! Iv got some n order from vetsUK so im going to take it upto 28 days!

Your bun only needs 6weeks panacur if they have an active case of EC, if its only precautionary then 9days is whats required.

Misty is doing good....she was dragging her back end really bad but is now hopping quite good! Happy enough in herself and everything...still really cheeky!

Diggers off to vets tomorrow. I want his ears rechecked incase he has an ear infection since he was first seen 6 weeks ago, as his relapse has got worse as the week as gone on. Today he has only ventured around by his shed, along a shallow wall at the bottom of the garden. He must feel like his world is now wonky. Hes happy enough and eating ok. :cry:
Digger was only given panacur for 9 days, i extended this to 6 weeks too.

Good luck to both of you, believe me i know what its like having a head tilt / EC bunny!

My boy never really even ran about for a good few months, now he can run like a whippet!! haha.

Progress does seem really slow, but its great when you see an improvement.

My Daisy has tilt and this is caused by an ear infection, which was only discovered by x-ray at Bristol Vet Hospital. Unless they did an x-ray I don't think they can exclude an ear infection lower down.

After visit to vets again, re head tilt Digger.

My PC as been poorly too. ;)
I took Digger back to same vet in the end for a recheck on his relapse.
She gave him a good check of his ears again for me, but said it was EC again as he improved after about a week after he first went on Panacur.
Vet gave him a steroid jab on Friday night and a start off antibiotic jab.
He is on Badril for a week too.
Also Panacur again for 4 weeks.
So far now Monday there is no change, from last week, but he hasn't got any worse.
Vet said no ear infection she can detect.
Can i please have some vibes for my poorly Digger, to help him get some more improvement. :(:(:(

Vibes for Digger

Is he still managing to get about? How is his head?

Honestly, my boy never managed to get about right well until a few months after he first got head tilt. He still tumbles a few times a day, but manages about most of the time.

Digger and Sparks have the bottom of a 6x6 ft shed so he knows the layout. His 1 eye has shut down by his innner lid has covered it, and that eye is completly shut, so vet said it shouldn't get infected. He seems a bit in a daze to wat's going on, and so does Sparkle, :roll:. Eating drinking from a heavy bowl now on floor.

Back