• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny not eating/drinking has diarrhea. help!

amanda-panda

New Kit
Hi,

I've got a 6 month old black rex and she stopped drinking and had diarrhea on Wednesday so we took her to the vets Friday morning and they gave her pain killers and some enzymes to put on her food called Protexin. She was fine-ish today, by fine I mean still eating and things, and she even had a sip of water, but since about 2pm she's just stopped eating and drinking completely and has become really sluggish and keeps hiding away :( I'm really worried and don't know what could be wrong with her? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Yes she definitely needs to see your vet especially as she has already been ill this week. Sometimes some home treatment can sort out buns when they stop eating, but as she has a history of problems, I'd definitely call your vet.

She's just eaten a little bit of kale and had a sip of water. We called the vet but theyre closed until 11am! I don't know what to do!:cry:

We're in Plymouth. I've phoned round the vets and one of them gave us a number to an emergency vet :) but it's quite far away so gonna call a taxi

hey! thanks for asking :) yeh she seems a bit better... she's eaten a whole bowl of greens, but no water as of yet... the vet said to give her celery, apple etc to keep her hydrated and if she hasn't drunk anything by tomorrow to take her back to her vet. he took her temp and it was fine and felt her tummy so im not sure whats wrong with her :(

You could ask your vet for some Fibreplex, I found that helped one of mine when he was a bit "sloppy". Is she eating plenty of hay?

She will get fluid from the veg. Hope she perks up soon.

thank you :) he gave us something to put on her food to help out her digestive system. shes eating a bit of hay not nearly as much as usual though!

What food are you giving her? I found that Exel gave mine sticky bum, I now use Oxbow Bunny Basics T which is timothy hay based and it worked wonders for my "sticky bum" bunny - no more sticky bum. The only downside is it is more expensive than the others.

I pay about £14 for a 4.5kg bag but it does last a month between two of them and I have to give them quite a lot because one of my buns will not eat hay. You can buy smaller bags if you wanted to try it. I order mine from the vet so you don't have to pay postage.

yeh we give her timothy hay and she loves it! she seems so much better today, im so glad i was really worried! shes been drinking from her water bottle too :) it was horrible seeing her like that. thanks for all your advice :)

Aw, glad she seems a little better today. I hope she continues to improve. Keep a close eye on her anyway to make sure.

Back