• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I wait until Spring?

flowergirls

Warren Scout
Daffodil, my youngest doe is 8 months old and has been bonded with Blackberry, an 18 month old spayed doe since she was 9 weeks old. They get on great and so far no fights, Daffy has not shown any obvious hormonal behaviour yet although I appreciate she is now an adult herself.. I want to get Daffy spayed too but they live outdoors and we have guinea pigs now in the only indoor`cage we have. So, just want to know, is it better to wait until Spring now- I just hate the thought of her being spayed on a freezing cold day and feeling poorly when it's so cold outside. When I got Blacks and Daisy done it was May time and they went straight outside afterwards.
Any thoughts?

I got my two outdoor girls spayed in December last year. I kept them indoors for a week, and then put them outdoors. You have to gradually introduce them to the outside after a week indoors. I put them out in the morning and then for the next few nights, I put a Snugglesafe in.

I think this is personal choice but if it was me I would wait till spring as its getting really cold outside. I wouldnt want mine in the house for a few days to have to go back in to such cold weather. Its not really that long anyway. I would wait till it warms up and get her spayed but I would still bring them in after to keep and eye on her and to make sure she is warm after such a big op.

I think this is personal choice but if it was me I would wait till spring as its getting really cold outside. I wouldnt want mine in the house for a few days to have to go back in to such cold weather. Its not really that long anyway. I would wait till it warms up and get her spayed but I would still bring them in after to keep and eye on her and to make sure she is warm after such a big op.

Thanks for that- I just felt there's no urgency timewise on the spay as she's young and she's very content with Blackberry- I thought I may have seen some hormonal behaviour by now but maybe it's just not the time of year- they're more content with snuggling up together and keeping warm than any dominance battles.
I am going to wait until at least April as long as things are still calm- she will be 1 year old then.

Back