• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rex rabbits

hurricanhoney

Wise Old Thumper
Are rex rabbits OK as house rabbits on carpet or vet bed. I'm thinking particularly with problems such as sore hocks.

Thanks Jane. Probably not a good idea for me to take on a rex rabbit. I will be speaking to the lady at the rescue on Monday as they weren't really sure about this problem and see what they say.

My little rex lives happily in his hutch/run but he had a very deep layer of straw/hay and his run is always on grass. I would say this for rexes - have had various types of bun in the past but rexes are full of character. He's so much 'larger than life' - a real little funny personality. He's lively and friendly, and I understand from other people this is typical. They're fantastic buns! But maybe not a house bun?

Our Rex, Kellogg lived as a house rabbit all of his life (nine years). We lived in several houses so he encountered a variety of surfaces. He did best on softer surfaces (carpet, rug, vetbed) and so we always made sure there were soft rugs on his main routes through the house . For most of his life he had very little fur on his hocks but this never seemed to hinder him in any way. It never stopped him running round the house as much as our other rabbits and getting into more mischief :) . Only on a few occasions did they bleed and a quick visit to the vets soon sorted them out. He had a huge personality, was quite bright, really lively, inquisitive and loved his food.:) I think a Rex can make a great indoor rabbit, you just need to be a bit more vigilant and keep an eye on those hocks.

We've got a beautiful girl black Rex and our rescue said she'd be fine as a house rabbit but just to keep an eye on her hocks for sores. So far they have been fine, we've only had her a month so maybe too soon to tell but the vet checked her over the other day and she was all ok. With the amount of high speed running she does around the house and taking corners far too fast I'd have expected her hock fur to have disapeared by now :)

As said in a previous post her personality is just so funny, really really mischevious, she loves trying to figure how to get where she can't and get to chew our curtains, rugs, tables... but we love her :love:

Audrey and Monty are both house rabbits and are rexes.

Audrey suffered from sore hocks due to the fact that the first owner (who Mandy rescued her from) forgot about her, didn;t clean her out etc:censored: Mandy did a brilliant job of helping the hocks to heal. The hocks are just bald now on both of her back feet. It's on the heel and the middle bit. I just make sure that wherever the buns go there is fleece about and their litter trays are a layer of megazorb, a layer of the soft straw then hay.

MOnty doesn;t suffer with sore hocks (touch wood) and he's been a house bun for 2 years. We've had Audrey for a year and I would say that her hocks haven;t got any worse (touch wood (again)). Mandy said when she visited last year (about 3 months after we got Audrey) that Audrey's hocks weren;t any worse than when she had her.

Sorry for the long post.......but I would say that my two haven;t had a problem due to being indoor buns (touch wood...again!!:roll:!)

Good luck on Monday!

xx

Back