• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

No incisors = matted back end? U/D with picture

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
Hiya

Can anyone who has a bun with no incisors please tell if the buns gets a matted back end because they can't groom properly? Its not matted with poo, its just this yellowy stuff thats sticking his fur together and now making his skin sore.

I'm trimming the fur and applying sudocreme for the sore skin but need to get to the bottom of the problem causing it. The vet has simply said its because he can't groom - but I don't know what would be there to groom away that would make it clog like this??

Can anyone please help?

Last edited:
Is it dried urine? That can take on a 'sticky' feel to it when dry

None of my incisorless rabbits (all short & fine furred) had problems grooming themselves.

To be honest i'm not sure what it is... it doesn't smell of urine, it smells more like their glands do - but they're not too full either, have checked that already.

Gregory is not too bad - he has had no incisors for about a month now. Doesn't sound very pleasant for poor bunny - hope he/she is better soon! x

My bunny boy blackie had his incisors removed in july and had to be taken to the vet to have his bottom cleaned , as he had poo stuck to him (badly) but that has cleared up now but when i chek him he has yellow/orange stuff that sticks to his fur. It Smells awful so i checked his glands and they were fine, but i checked them again 2 weeks ago and they were gunked up. Now he is better but he is a bit overweight and sometimes struggles to clean himself.

I've never really thought about this but do rabbits actually clean their own glands normally?

No incisors = matted back end? U/D With Picture

My bunny boy blackie had his incisors removed in july and had to be taken to the vet to have his bottom cleaned , as he had poo stuck to him (badly) but that has cleared up now but when i chek him he has yellow/orange stuff that sticks to his fur. It Smells awful so i checked his glands and they were fine, but i checked them again 2 weeks ago and they were gunked up. Now he is better but he is a bit overweight and sometimes struggles to clean himself.

Well that sounds alot like what happens with this chap. Hes not had the poo stuck to him, but the smelly bit is the same. I just can't believe that that amount of 'stuff' can come out of a bunny - its all under his belly, down his legs and even above his tail!!!

I suppose they must clean their own glands, cos just last night i noticed my Fozzie on just one side of her glands has that oily brown wax but the other side was fine??

Edited to add a picture..
poorbugs.jpg

Anybody have any more ideas?

Last edited:
Blackies bottom doesnt look like that and doesnt get as bad! looks like urine to me. Best get him to a vet to be on the safe side!!

Sending vibes for ur poor bunny

Looks like wee to me too, lexie lays in her litter tray and her white belly fur looks just like that.

I have to brush her every day.

ETA: Is it on the sides of his legs too? It almost looks like he might be suffering some incontinence :?

Kerry, the pic is alot clearer on here than the one on my phone and it does look like urine even though he isn't wet as in how Maddie and Bonnie were.

Looks like wee to me too, lexie lays in her litter tray and her white belly fur looks just like that.

I have to brush her every day.

ETA: Is it on the sides of his legs too? It almost looks like he might be suffering some incontinence :?

Yes its all over his inner legs and even above his tail? He is never actually wet, its weird, just gets stained, even though he uses a tray etc.

Just to add that he has seen the vet at the rescue and all they've said is that it is cos he has no teeth and so can't groom himself....but you just know when theres something not quite right...

My bun has that at the moment. I wondered if it was because she didnt have her inscissors to help with grooming, but it also happened before she had her inscissors removed.
So.. no idea why, sorry. But I will be asking the vet this afternoon so if I find out any more info then i'll pass it on.
To help her out last time the vet shaved her tummy to get rid of the mats, but I didnt then find any redness from urine burn so am not convinced that that was the answer.

Back