• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just when everything seems perfect...........

Sorry to put this here, but need advice quickly:oops::oops:

As the title says. Just when everything seems perfect, Eric and Ernie have a big fight!!:cry::cry::cry:

As you may know, they moved into their shed a few weeks ago and were out in their run during the day and in their shed at night.
Last weekend we opened the cat flap and they have been able to go inside and outside whenever they liked.

It was perfect - they loved it. So much so, that they were still outside last night at 8.30pm and then bought themselves insde for bed.

This morning, they used their litter trays and then I opened the cat flap and out they went.

They were fine, so I went to take a shower before going to work.

When got down to say good bye at 8.20am, there was fur everywhere in the run and blood in the shed.

I called my Hubbie and we checked them over. Eric has a gash on his ear.

He's not overly keen on me handling hm, but I can't see any other wounds.
Ernie doesn't appear to have any cuts.

I have been to the vets and got some Baytril, which will start this afternoon.

I dont know what could have caused the fight, but we live in quite a noisy area and I think they may have been spooked by somethng, causing Ernie to run scared.

My hubbie monitored them all mornng and cleared up the mess, and said they were both groomng each other..

So, my questions are:

Is it likely that this will be a lifelong thing with them? They sleep together cuddled up and groom each other, share the same food bowls, all with no trouble at all.

Why is it that the dominant, bigger one (Eric) coming off worst in these fights?

Please advise, as we have taken the re-bondng so slowly and I haven't changed ther food or anything.:cry::cry::cry:

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post:oops::oops:

Last edited:
Awww hun so sorry to hear this things were starting to go so well. I dont know much about these things and hopefully someone who does will be along to advise. I have heard that two males are the hardest to pair though - it might be an excuse to get two girls and have two pairs :D

Hello and thanks for the response:wave::wave:

It's so heartbreaking, but they are so good together. They look at you as if to say, what's the problem? Ernie was even washing Erics ear for him, as though to say he was sorry!!!

I really believe, something spooked one of them and it set the other one off.

But I just need to know if other people have pairs that fight occassionally. Is it normal?

I mean, if this was happening every day or even every week, I wouldn't hesitate in splitting them up, but it's not.

And yes, I would love 2 girls, but I don't think we could afford it just yet. (my business is closng next march and it looks like my hubbie will be redundant in the next couple of months). I wouldn't take on 2 girls and jeopordize their care just at this time. It wouldn't be fair.:cry::cry::cry:

Do you think it is worth perservering wth them, when in the main, they are so happy?

Only you know your rabbits and if they seem happy it is worth a try dont forget they have only been in their new environment a short time they could still be settling in

Was it definitely the the rabbit that caused the cut on his ear!? If you think they could have ben spooked is it posible he caught his ear on something else like the edge of the catflap etc? It seems strange that they would be getting on so well and then hurt one another :(

Hi Becky
Yes it was definately Ernie that caused the cut. There had been some chasing prior to the fght, as there was a lot of fur in the run.

Yesterday, after a little bottom biting, everything settled doewn again and they were grooming each other.:love::love::love:

It is just so stressful.

But I'm sure if I just geive them a little more time, they will be fine.

I just wonder if anyone elses rabbits have the odd fight now and then?

Back