• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Messing up the hutch

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi one of my bonded sisters has started to mess up the hutch the last few weeks. She keeps dragging hay from the bed area to the main area and then just digging around and mixing it all up. I am unsure what to do about this as i have tried with toys and they already have a few jingly balls and wooden things to chew on. None of the other rabbits have done this and it appears that her sisters don't do it it's just her. Is there anything you could suggest for me to do?

Yes i am sure all three are female and they are all spayed. I've had them since they were born and their brothers have been neutered and live in a seperate hutch. There has not been any of this behaviour before until the last few weeks.

Autumn did this just before she had a phantom pregnancy.

I tried lots of things including changing bedding for fleeces, straw, including a snugglesafe, and putting all the bedding hay in a high sided basket. the basket seemed to work, although she did turn it on its side, she also kept the hay in the bedding area.

Kiki has always been a bit messy with her hay, it ends up everywhere, I think she gets it "just right" then I take it away and put fresh stuff in again, then she messes it up again :lol:

MIne are the same... They have a hutch within a shed and they take all the hay out of the hutch, pee on the bare newspaper, get their bums all wet and the hay is on the floor in the cold air!
They are spayed also...

They dont do it in the summer though so who knows? I think females are messier than boys though?:?

MIne are the same... They have a hutch within a shed and they take all the hay out of the hutch, pee on the bare newspaper, get their bums all wet and the hay is on the floor in the cold air!
They are spayed also...

They dont do it in the summer though so who knows? I think females are messier than boys though?:?

Yes definitely messier as thier 2 brothers who live next door to them have a much cleaner hutch and exactly the same thing happens, they don't do it in summer it only started a couple of weeks ago. It is only one of the 3 sisters i have seen do this behaviour. Same thing happens when i clean the hutch by the time i check the next morning it doesn't look like i've done anything at all except it doesn't smell. I have noticed that they have started to wee in the bed and i have two pets at home nora toilets in there so i think they are laying on the other side of the bed door so perhaps she is trying to move the hay there?

Back