• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

need some advice, sorry about the long post i really do need help

hiya could do with some advice.

We have just lost our miss molly bless her after 8 1/2 yrs, she was a friend of elvis who we lost 3yrs ago.

She never met our shauny cause she was so old and very used to her own room, i knew she wouldnt take to him.

But now im thinking of getting shauny a friend, my head is all over at the min, me and my o/h miss her so much. But i feel shauny is not himself sorry im going on, i need to ask a few q's that im really worried about...

When they are bonded (which i would not be able to do, im too much of a coward:oops:) would they be fine to be left alone together?

I worry coming home and finding that the ''bond had broken'' and they are bleeding/or worse?.

Do they break bond like humans fall out?.

And the biggest thing im woried about is if the other bun is poorly it will effect the other bun?

i just need some good advice on what to do, for the best.

sorry for going on my head is still a bit pickled from loosing our little girl.
Bex. x

Hi
I am so sorry you lost Molly. They do leave a massive gap in our lives.

With regards to your questions, I can let you know my experiences

When they are bonded would they be fine to be left alone together?
Yes, they should be once you are sure they have bonded well. I have bonded 3 times and after the bonding they have been find together.

I worry coming home and finding that the ''bond had broken'' and they are bleeding/or worse?.
I have personally not come across this although I have heard this can happen.

Do they break bond like humans fall out?. See above

And the biggest thing im woried about is if the other bun is poorly it will effect the other bun?
Again from experience, I currently have a poorly bun who would not eat last night/today. I brought his wifey in and put food by him and she started to eat it so he did. I really find that they bounce off each other and keep each other company when one is not feeling too good. My two are currently cuddled up together.

If you have not had two buns together before I can understand your reservations. However, if you get the right partner for Shauny you will understand why a lot of us on here have more than one. There are rescues on here that you could see if they had a bunny that may be a good partner for Shauny and they may even be able to do the bonding for you.

I know that you need to grieve for Molly but I have found that getting another bun helps you to heal. It never replaces the one you have lost.

Good luck in what you decide.

To agree with what bunny babe said, any bonded buns I've had have been fine together, even when one has been to the vet, there has been no problem reintroducing. I have never had a bond break, and if one is ill, I have found that the other one looks after them. When Smokey was ill with head tilt, I discovered Milly sitting alongside him, and I swear she was supporting him. This is all my own personal experiences, some others may have found different.

Sorry about your loss, and hope you find a friend for Shauny, when you are ready.

thankyou both for getting back to me:).

how would you know if they had bonded well, or would it just be a case of having to wait and see?.
x

thankyou both for getting back to me:).

how would you know if they had bonded well, or would it just be a case of having to wait and see?.
x

Over time rabbits bond with each other strengthens. You can tell when you are observing them the strengthening of their relationship as they are together. The majority of bonds do work well and it is only a few which are problematic, these usually are not right from the beginning.

My suggestion would be to contact a reputable rescue and get their assistance with choosing and bonding your buns. I would strongly suggest finding a resuce who will keep you bun for at least 48 hours whilst they are initially placed together, this also gives you adequate time to get your accomodation cleaned and ready for their arrival back home as a couple. Rescues will also give you backup and moral support for afterwards.

I've never had bonded rabbits until a couple of months ago (too scared from the horror stories I'd heard).

I had Tinks and Rudy bonded for me at the rescue I got Rudy from and they are inseperable. I tentatively booked an extra day off work for the day they were first home with me thinking I'd dare not leave them and I'd have to watch over them. They way there are together is just unbelievable. They are so totally in tune with each other, I have no worries whatsoever that they would hurt each other. They steal each others food but that's just mischievousness, there's definitely no acrimony from either when they do it, they normally get down to grooming straight away after stealing from each other!

I was lucky as I just chose the two and hoped they'd bond but I guess the idea of taking Shauny to a rescue and letting him choose for himself would be the safest option. If they are bonded by somebody experienced I'm sure they would be able to tell you how strong they felt the bond was. The verdict I got with my two was "you won't have any problems with them two".

thanks guys:wave:.
im gonna show my o/h this as he is really nervous bout bonding, keeps saying it going to go wrong.

Shauny is in a dog cage (never closed) with a top level and carpets, would i have to change the carpet in there, and would they be ok in the same room shauny is in or would they have to move into another room?.

Sorry for all the q's but i wouldnt want anything to go wrong.

Thanks bex. x

I think it's meant to be much easier to introduce a girl into a boy's terrritory than vice versa...

Back