• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what kind of partner??

lucyjane!

New Kit
i am posting on behalf of my aunty and younger cousin, as they currently have a netherland dwarf rabbit. They did have two, a brother and sister until one died around a month ago at a very young age as they are only about 6 months old i think, not totally clued up on all the detalis about which rabbit is left i.e the sex of it etc.
I was just wondering though what kind of rabbit would be suitable to rebond with the remaining rabbit?? as nerthlands are only small so i didnt know what other breeds of rabbits would be suitable with it as i have never had this breed before.
I am trying my best to find the new rabbit for them as they didnt even want to rebond the rabbit :evil: but i have finally managed to persuade them as i dont even feel that my cousin who is only 10 looks after them anywere near good enough and it irritates me so much because they're family and don't listen to the advice i give them. The hutch they have the rabbit in is nowhere near big enough and i just feel so sorrry for the little rabbit but hopefuly i can find it a freind and that will at least make it a little bit happier n i hope my cousin will let me show her how she should be looking after the rabbits and maybe get them a larger hutch!
sorry for rambling on a bit but its just so anoying when someone so close to you is treating their rabbits in a way you know is unfair to the animal and i feel she only got the rabbits in the first place because i have rabbits (shes always tryin to do things that i do)
Thanks for any adivce x

My Inky is a Dutch/Dwarf cross and he gets along really well with Smokey, a slightly larger English rabbit.

It's a difficult situation you're in, I have similar with next door, they don't look after their rabbit properly. You could point out that they will need a larger hutch for 2 rabbits or if they try to rehome from a rescue, they should be home checked and this should be flagged up.

Aww how great that you are so caring! It is always so frustrating when people don't listen to good advice!

I wonder if perhaps they should wait to get another bunny until their accommodation is more suitable? Maybe being more cramped would be even worse than being alone?

Obviously the ideal situation would be bigger accommodation AND a friend!

Someone with more experience will be able to answer your question fully I'm sure!

Well done you!

i hope they do get homechecked then it proves to them that they do need a new hutch as i have already pointed out but they just thought i was fussing too much! they even went to a pet shop to look for the new rabbit which i only found out about after they had gone but they said that all 3 pet shops they went to said that 'there was no need to bond the rabbit and it would do just fine on its own so they didnt need to spend all of the money on a new rabbit' i was fuming when they told me they said that!!! Thankyou for your helppp by the way :)

if they can get larger accomodation(Afterall with 2 buns in hutch will be less space) then a lionhead or netherland dwarf or polish breed are the smallest breeds but a medium bun shoould also be fine my nethie was with a chinchilla cross so im sure you could find something suitable! x

Back