• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ebay Hutch

It's a decent size...

The only problem I have with all of these type of hutches is that they aren't designed to last long. They use very soft, cheap wood, and it doesn't withstand chewing at all. If a rabbit has no problem chewing it to bits a predator will not have a problem chewing in. I have runs made by the same company and they were destroyed within weeks. Chewing is normal wear, but these soft woods are just too easy to destroy! If you are looking at investing in a hutch that will last you a lifetime you would be best to pay out more now :)

Thanks for comments!

I don't have a problem with paying out, Just investigating at the mo as wont be buying til summer. It's crazy the different styles, sizes and materials out there!

Check out the hutches made by Mr Buns(yes, really!!:lol:) in Nottingham or thereabouts. He made mine over 2 years ago and I've been totally satified with it. It's strong, and totally wind and water proof. Absolutley no gripes about it at all. Mine is a double tier 5x3 but we removed the front at the base level and added a small run so they could have free access 24/7(although they are in a garden run during the day). If you have him make a run for you make sure you specify that you don't want it made with chicken wire!!!
Here's the hutch he did for us:I removed the sleeping partition and use a carrier instead it makes cleaning so much easier. He also lined it all with ply for extra insulation.
DSC01348.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

Here it is with our home-made run attached:
DSC02601.jpg

http://www.mrbuns.co.uk/hutches.htm

Last edited:
Check out the RSPCA 6x2x2... they're £95. I had 2 5 footers made in the same wood and they lasted 6 years and are still usable (both have gone to friends).

Admittedly they were covered with a hutch hugger cover for about 5 of those years.

I have one of the hutches mentioned, there are good and bad points. The service is good as is the design, however, the catches could be better, the ones to the bottom door bolt upwards and can be shaken undone, so extras need to be put on. As someone else has stated the wood is not the best, but so to speak you get what you pay for and if you are on a budget and can maintain it well there is no reason why it wouldn't last for some time.
HTH
Jessy

Back