• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please urgent-head to one side-u/d eating now

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
I am really worried about Homer. He was due for his dental today as normal and an hour before we were due to take him he started to stretch out restlessly (he has done this previously when not well). I noticed his poop was smaller than usual this morning but he was pooping and also eating OK.

He was still eating up until he started throwing himself about and then would not eat anything. I took him to the vet and asked him to check him out, he said he seemed OK he had a couple more spurs than normal but gave him some metaclopromide to be on the safe side.

Homer has still not eaten and his head is now to one side. I know if I ring emergency vet they are useless, they will just tell me his mouth is sore.

He does not look in pain, just very lethargic.

Last edited:
Hi Bunny Babe..

I just picked up on your post now..

I'm sending (((((( VIBES )))) for you and for homer.

I know someone with more knowledge will be along soon to maybe shed some more light on things, but I just put this in to let you know your not alone, our buns still being kinda weird too, and often I try and look things up and nothing matches.

I remember a while ago though the vet saying that rabbits are strange creatures, in that they dont always fit the profile and often have odd or quirky behaviours that no one really seems to understand.. I know with ours hes gone from sitting on the floor looking all miserable and hunched, to an instant binky..which left us scratching our head..

so it could be if his mouth is sore, he feels better with his head to one side, I know thats kind of a long shot, but our bun has done some pretty strange things... perhaps it eases the pressure?. ( I know) maybe ring the emergency vet anyway, because at least they shouldnnt charge you for the call. and I will send vibes out for folk to come along and hopefully shed some light on things..

(((((HEALING VIBES))))

M

No advice I'm afraid, just really hope he's okay and that it is something as simple as feeling more comfortable like that.

Sending vibes.

Bun

Um.... my rabbit started to have the same thing, he was tilting his head to the side, it's not terrible, but it can cause some discomfort.

Is the head tilted to 1 side before or just after the dental? Is your bun given any metacam today by injection or by mouth just after the dental?

If he has headtilt it may be due to a middle ear infection or maybe EC.
His reduced gut motility is probably secondary to whatever else is going on. He does require Veterinary attention ASAP.
Please let us know how he gets on.

Thanks for the vibes and advice,

I had some advice to either take him to vet for fluids etc or to keep close eye on him myself overnight unless he took a turn for the worse.

As I do not have confidence in the emergency vet I have been checking on him in the night. He has taken some grated carrot and had a nibble at some cabbage. He also took a bit of water and pineapple juice.

He certainly does not look any worse than last night and I don't think his head is as tilted as last night either. He does not look "in pain" i.e. not hunched up and grinding teeth, in fact he is nice and warm in the kitchen and is stretched out and breathing is gentle. He has just done a wee and there is one normal shaped poop. He did have normal poops last night at about 6.30 but only the one poop since then.

I will be taking him to see my vet this morning.

Im glad that homer seems to be getting better and his head tilt improving.
Let us know what the vet says....'straight head' healing vibes from me and kermit xx

Homer has been to the vets today, it turns out his left cheek is inflamed. Probably from the spurs (before we went) and maybe the burring during his dental may have caught it.

My vet has refused to give him any metacam which I am pretty upset about, he said that you need to be careful giving it to them due to the damage it may cause to the liver.

He has checked him over and his head appears to be OK now, we think it is because his left cheek was sore. I think I will Panacure them both anyway as it really frightened me last night - is it prescription only? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to doing or not doing it?

Anyway I have been and bought lots of herbs, carrot tops etc and he is starting to eat them, albeit slowly.

Thanks for all your messages.

Panacur is not a POM and it will not cause any damage even if they have not got EC. It is a very safe medication, no known side effects at the recommended doseage, and I wish more people would use it routinely.

Has Homer been on Metacam frequently or for prolonged periods? It should really be OK in small amounts for a short period of time unless he is already compromised in that area. Anorexia in rabbits can also rapidly cause damage to the liver, so it seems a bit of a catch 22 situation to be in.

No, I have a bottle from last December when he had a dental so it has been opened and it says it only has a shelf life of 6 months otherwise I would be tempted just to give a couple of drops.

Thanks, we don't think it is EC. His head is not listing now, I think he must have been trying to get come comfort last night.

My vet has called me back to say I can give him a couple of drops of metacam if I want. He said it should be ok to give him what we have in if we have to.

Hi Bunny Babe..

just got back in, and glad to hear it sounds like hes perking up.. it's strange but I was wondering with them being such smart critters, they probably know how best to manage discomfort in themselvs too, like us.. it's just I guess some of the things they do freaks us out..

Still sending vibes for Homers Full Recovery, (((HOMER))) they certianly keep us on our toes... but he's in perfect hands:)

M

Hi Bunny Babe..

just got back in, and glad to hear it sounds like hes perking up.. it's strange but I was wondering with them being such smart critters, they probably know how best to manage discomfort in themselvs too, like us.. it's just I guess some of the things they do freaks us out..

Still sending vibes for Homers Full Recovery, (((HOMER))) they certianly keep us on our toes... but he's in perfect hands:)

M

:wave:Thanks for you support, I hope your bunster is feelig fully fit and well now.

I too think they do it to keep us on our toes.

Back