• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering, overnight stays?

Lisa & Amos

Warren Scout
Hi

Bit the bullet and Amos is booked in for neutering on Tuesday. Reading through the boards everyone else seems to pick up there Bunny that evening where as my vet has said that he will stay in overnight? Its also £75 which seems a bit steep, but happy to do whatever is best for him.

My bunny had to stay overnight after her spay, the vet wanted to make sure she was eating and to give her a painkiller the following day. It does vary, on reflection I'm glad she did as they did all the difficult nursing i was dreading most!

My girls were £50 each but they came home that night so I suppose £75 inc over night stay isnt so bad

Hi, just had my latest bun done and it cost me £37.40. He didn't have to stay in, but he was eating well after the op. Bunnies can be awkward with general anaesthetic as they need their digestive tract to work continuously and the anaesthetic interupts that. Our vets said they would keep them in if they were concerned about them eating post op, but I think some do it as a matter of course because of this issue. All depends on the vets really.

I have had 3 bunnies done now (2 boys and a girl) and they all came through absolutely fine.

Any sugestions for good rabbit vets in the Newcastle/Coast area then, does seem that this vet is quite a bit more expensive.

My boy, Casey, was taken in the morning and finished by 2pm. I collected him at 5pm. I thought he would really struggle getting over the anaesthetic (like my piggies did), but he was bouncing round the house in no time at all. Even when i collected him he was full of beans. This cost £40.
The best piece of advice i recieved was to let your rabbit eat as much of the dried pellet food as they want the day/morning before the op.

Hi Claire

Just tried that, gave 2 accreddited options within reasonable travelling distance. One was the practice I am using, I called the other and the quote was £172! think I will stick to the first.

Back