• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excessive drinking - no other symptoms

tincan

New Kit
Hi, just wondered if anyone knew what could be the problem with girl bunny Suki. She is about 3 or 4 years old and has started drinking a lot (over half a litre today so far) and of course weeing more too.

She was bonded with a boy bunny Cloudy who we lost at half term. He had done the same before he died. We contacted the vet to ask, but there was no weight loss, no inactivity, no loss of appetite or anything else, so it was put down to a recent change in diet to their recommended pellets (plus hay and veggies).

Has anybody any ideas what it might be? I am going to try to see the vet tomorrow.

Hi, just wondered if anyone knew what could be the problem with girl bunny Suki. She is about 3 or 4 years old and has started drinking a lot (over half a litre today so far) and of course weeing more too.

She was bonded with a boy bunny Cloudy who we lost at half term. He had done the same before he died. We contacted the vet to ask, but there was no weight loss, no inactivity, no loss of appetite or anything else, so it was put down to a recent change in diet to their recommended pellets (plus hay and veggies).

Has anybody any ideas what it might be? I am going to try to see the vet tomorrow.

Been through this exact same thing with Gregory a few months back.

It doe sneed to be checked out by the vet if it continues as there are many thiongs which could cause it but have no other symptoms - most notably EC and teeth problems.

Gregory's did turn out to be teeth problems and he was drinking to relieve the pain he had in his mouth.

Tests done icnluded blood tests to check for EC, kidney and liver function and blood sugar levels and an Xray which I think was looking for calcification of something or other.

Please do insist that your bunny is properly checked out!

Hope it gets sorted, keep us posted!

Suki saw the vet this morning. He gave her a good exam and thinks it is likely to be EC. He has given me Panacur to give to her and Thumper, our new bunny. He has also given me a course of antibiotics for Suki in case it is a bladder infection she has picked up. We've to see how she goes and go back if the medication doesn't improve things for her.

She seems so healthy otherwise, so fingers crossed this sorts her out.

Glad you got to the vet. Were any tests done? I'm not an expert on EC so won't say anything about that in case I say wrong thing! have a search on here and there is tons of info on it!

has the urine color change to lighter hazy color in the past few months? Or is the color still a milky yellow-orange color?

If the color is light and quite clear all the time, but it used to be a milky yellow - orange color, then there is chronic kidney problem

I had a look at her wee today before I took her to the vets and it was a milky yellow colour. Can't say what it used to be like as she has always been to the loo on sawdust or the grass. I'm guessing if it is chronic kidney failure then there isn't much to be done anyway. But she isn't losing weight, is eating well and seems happy in herself.

The vet didn't do a test for EC to make sure as he said the lab fees were very high and the outcome for treatment would be the same so in his opinion it was best just to treat. She was a good girl taking her medicine this evening, in fact she seemed to like the panacur.:)

Back