• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Homecheck info..

SisterMoonbeam

Mama Doe
Out of interest....

I will be looking for a male friend for my female in the summer when she goes outside and i would ideally like to rescue one. Would i fail the homecheck having 2 terriers?

I think it very much depends on the rescue, they all have their own policies. I'd have thought that it wouldn't be an automatic fail at many places but they would of course want to see what the temperament of the dogs is like, the accommodation and exercise area the buns would have, and how secure it is, to make sure that terriers, foxes and anything else wouldn't be able to attack your bunnies :)

Well..... Being terriers, given the chance they would very much enjoy eating a rabbit!!

They're not aggressive at all though, just their nature

But i would ensure the highest security possible, that is the last thing i would want to happen!

Last edited:
Well..... Being terriers, given the chance they would very much enjoy eating a rabbit!!

They're not aggressive at all though, just their nature

But i would ensure the highest security possible, that is the last thing i would want to happen!

You would need to speak to the rescue as each one will differ. Good luck with it. :)

In my opinion no,I have 2 jack russels and are great with all my buns and my buns dont mind them .
bibi009.jpg

crimbo009.jpg

Last edited:
awwww, would be great if my dogs did that. I suspect one of them wouldn't bat an eyelid at the buns, she's too lazy, but the youngun is a little scamp and has seen her way through a few squirrels, mice and birds, attempted to chase a deer once too, needless to say, that failed. Very distressing to witness at times but its all part and parcel of having a terrier i guess.

There is absolutely no way i would allow either of them to get to the rabbits, and i know the measures i would take to ensure this, it's just whether a rescue will accept that.

get intouch with a rescue and ask advice on what you would need to do before hand at least that way you can start doing it before you see a prospective partner and once it is done then the homecheck can be done in preperation for the new bun.
I rehome to people with dogs otherwise I would be a bit hypocritical if I didn't as I have a lab, 2 Springers & 2 Cockers. As long as everything is secure I can't see it being a problem with most rescues:D

I have a St Bernard who i don,t let near the buns,not cause she would chase them but she is so big and clumsy.
I have sectioned part of my garden off for the buns,they have a six foot fence round them with a gate.
I also wouldn,t want my bunnies seeing her and being petrified,they are all rescues and i don,t know their previous history as too whether they have ever been near dogs or not:))

Back