• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Problems after neutering...

ClaireAndLouis

Young Bun
Louis was neutered today, everything went ok and now hes being quiet, hes not eaten but he has drunk a lot of water...

Only problem is he is now shaking, I mean really shaking!! Our house is warm and he was under a blanket for warmth, is this something to do with the op? Obv I know he's sore but more little mite!!

Any ideas of anything I can do to help him? Thanks guys.

when i had Mr. Tibbs neuterd he didnt eat, i tried him with some weeds from the garden and he munched them down! But shaking doesnt sound good, keep and good eye on him. :wave:

have you got a hot water bottle you can put in with him? use a bowl aswell as bottle and put some juice in it to encourage drinking. i'm not sure if the shaking is coldness or maybe he needs more painkillers.

did he get pain relief? i would go get some more as shaking is not normal and keep him extra warm inside the house.dont let him hop around he should be on cage rest the first few days. x

How is the little chap today? It's possible that his op wasn't done until later in the day and he was struggling to keep up his body temperature after the anaesthetic. Hopefully he is feeling better today :)

you must keep your bunny warm after the op. Bunny's are famously bad with anysthetics. He will be feeling a little under the waether for a couple of days as he is healing. Make sure he has plenty of food and water available even if not eating it yet, my bunny was similar after his op

thanks for all your help guys. About 11 last night he went to the toilet ate some hay and warmed up! I'm such a worrier we put his cage in our room last night as it's the warmest room and popped his heat pad in too.

He usually has freedom of his room whilst we're at work, but he was in his cage all day, so hopefully that helped. He's now sat in his favourite spot under the radiator snoring!
:D

Back