• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi, new here ....

happypreso

Alpha Buck
Hi :wave:

I have just signed up after finding this forum whilst searching the internet for info about rats and rabbits.

I have two lovely rabbits (shown in the picture if I have done that right!) called Star and Bugsy. Star has recently given birth to 3 little ones (they are days old).

My neighbour was telling me that they have rats in the garden and we have holes going from their garden to ours (and it isn't the rabbits!). Our rabbits are housed in a hutch overnight however I do let them have the run of the whole garden during the day. My neighbour was saying that she hasn't let her rabbits out (she loves them to!) as she has see the rats on the grass and the rats can affect the rabbits?

Does anyone know if that is true? Should I be keeping my rabbits in the hutch until further notice? or will they be okay being let out on the grass?

Thanks everyone

i have no idea but wanted to say welcome its a great site -ive had loads of advice from people here. i would be interested in the answer cos we get rats occasionally :wave:

well it may be worth your while getting the council out to get thats theres not an infestation of them, plus you'd need to make sure your neighbour is not putting down piosion will your buns are running about in the garden.

:wave:Hello and welcome. Not sure about the rats, they might try and get the rabbits food but don't know if they would attack the rabbits or not:?

if she is really worried she still needs to allow the buns out to excersisse.... how about indoors? or in a secure run instead? not sure about rats i guess sdepends on how big adn how nasty the rats are they can carry diseases but the best thing to do is ensure your buns have thier myxi jabs every 6 months and vhd annually and are pannacurred regualrly as a prevention for ec.... hope this helps oh and welcome to the forumn xxx

if she is really worried she still needs to allow the buns out to excersisse.... how about indoors? or in a secure run instead? not sure about rats i guess sdepends on how big adn how nasty the rats are they can carry diseases but the best thing to do is ensure your buns have thier myxi jabs every 6 months and vhd annually and are pannacurred regualrly as a prevention for ec.... hope this helps oh and welcome to the forumn xxx

Thanks! I dont think it is some much of the rats attacking the rabbits (although I have heard that if the rats are hungry enough they will) but more of the fact that the grass has had the rats on, if that makes sense? ie passing dieases etc

Both my rabbits are all up to date with the jabs but can I ask what you mean by this? 'pannacurred regualrly as a prevention for ec' ... never heard of that (sorry! :oops:)

Thanks!

Back