• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gut motility drug? Confused about treatment *update*

MartinR

Warren Scout
Hi everyone..

This forum has always been an amazing source of insight, and support, soo..

I noticed our bun seemed to of stopped eating and pooping in yesterday, (he normally loves his food), he did a small cluster of poops last night but they were like peppercorns.. he also seemed to be producing an excessive amount of cecals and constantly eating from the oven so to speak,

He seemed bright, attentive and alert in himself, and was binkying, chasing round the room etc and acting normal but just ignoring his food, and not pooping.

OH NO! we thought, so managed to get him to a vets today, unfortunately I wasn't able to go with them, so my girlfriend took him,

The vet had a feel and said she doesnt think its a blockage, she felt his tum and said it didn't feel full,

Soo, my gf said she gave him three injections, and gave her some fibreplex one of the injections was a baytril, I got a bit worried when I heard that because I heard they shouldn't have anti biotic if theyres possible stasis..

Anyway, I looked at the receipt and the other injections were:

METACAM (pain relief)
and
METOCLOPRAMI?....... that's what it says on the receipt, but when I search it I couldnt find any info on it, do you think its METOCLOPRAMIDE? and if so, would that be a gut stimulant?.

Soo, I was wondering, if the METOCLOPRAMI is a gut stimulant, how long does that take to work?

Also, if he's still eating his poops, will that still count as food going into his tummy, ie, to help keep his guts moving?

He still seems fine and full of energy etc, but he still doesnt seem too interested in eating anything.

The vet said if he hasnt ate by tommorrow to call her or take him back in..

Sorry for all the questions, just ya know.... trying to make sure he's got the right support.

Thanks in Advance..

Martin:)

Last edited:
Hi everyone..

This forum has always been an amazing source of insight, and support, soo..

I noticed our bun seemed to of stopped eating and pooping in yesterday, (he normally loves his food), he did a small cluster of poops last night but they were like peppercorns.. he also seemed to be producing an excessive amount of cecals and constantly eating from the oven so to speak,

He seemed bright, attentive and alert in himself, and was binkying, chasing round the room etc and acting normal but just ignoring his food, and not pooping.

OH NO! we thought, so managed to get him to a vets today, unfortunately I wasn't able to go with them, so my girlfriend took him,

The vet had a feel and said she doesnt think its a blockage, she felt his tum and said it didn't feel full,

Soo, my gf said she gave him three injections, and gave her some fibreplex one of the injections was a baytril, I got a bit worried when I heard that because I heard they shouldn't have anti biotic if theyres possible stasis..

Anyway, I looked at the receipt and the other injections were:

METACAM (pain relief)
and
METOCLOPRAMI?....... that's what it says on the receipt, but when I search it I couldnt find any info on it, do you think its METOCLOPRAMIDE? and if so, would that be a gut stimulant?.

Soo, I was wondering, if the METOCLOPRAMI is a gut stimulant, how long does that take to work?

Also, if he's still eating his poops, will that still count as food going into his tummy, ie, to help keep his guts moving?

He still seems fine and full of energy etc, but he still doesnt seem too interested in eating anything.

The vet said if he hasnt ate by tommorrow to call her or take him back in..

Sorry for all the questions, just ya know.... trying to make sure he's got the right support.

Thanks in Advance..

Martin:)

Metaclopramide is a gut stimulant :)
Im not sure how long but as it was injected surely should start to work immediately.

Hi, yes it sounds like it could have been metacloprimide (sp?) which is the gut stimulant with metacam the painkiller. My vet gave one of mine Baytril when she wasn't eating in case it was an infection causing it - I think some do give it.

Make sure you keep him nice and warm. Try to encourage some extra fluid - try a bowl of water topped with a dash of boiling to make it lukewarm. Mine take more when it is like that. You could also try some gently tummy rubs. Suggest you buy lots of herbs, grass, dandelions and veg to try to tempt him, also some grated carrot.

Hope he starts eating and pooping OK soon. He may need another injection or 2 but your vet will advise tomorrow.

Hi Starlights and Bunny Babe..:wave:

thanks for your speedy replies...

Yea, as it's written on the receipt it just says METACLOPRAMI 0.25, but maybe they computer shortens the words etc..

I added some water from the kettle to his water and as I was writing this he went over to his waterbowl and had a little drink:D.. that's the first time I've seen him drink since yesterday...he didn't have a lot but it's a start I guess..

yeah, I have the heating on low and made him a nice snug box with a blanket to go in, it's strange because he seems fine otherwise and up to mischeif, but he must be starving...

were going to get him lots of fresh greens tommorrow, and I grabbed him some fresh grass out of the garden which I soaked in water too. also been giving him tummy rubs.

the hard bit now is getting the fibreplex in him, hes a real nightmare with meds, even if theyre carrot flavour, soon as he sees that tube he's gone lol...:roll:

So I'm going to try putting some on my finger and sneaking it in to his gum..

I will probably stay up with him tonight and keep a close eye on him, amazing how the smallest things in life like watchin your bun enjoy his food etc, and produce wonderful golden poops can bring so much joy!>. I will be sooo relieved when I see that:)

Thanks for your replies:) I will update the post of developments.

M

you have my sympathy..its so hard so scary..and when the vet said empty tum and no blockage did she also mention maybe giving some syrnge feeds too?

the fibreplex does workwonders i know our bif actually spits it out at you..you have carrot coloured smelling stains on all oyur clothes and seriosly disgruntled bunny!!

if hes drinking its a god sign..is he eating any hay at all?

if hes not nay diff by morning right back to vets and see if hes got dental probs....usual story im afraid:(
bif has a lower jaw that goes to far back and despite being on helathy diet oads of hay consumed timmy hay..oat wheat barley hay...she gets dentla issues..first sign is quiet or in a foul mood and sleeping alone alot...she then does smaller and smaller poos and darker and darker..and she leaves heaps of cecals everywhere..my lounge stinks till ive clenaed it all up..eww.
but i have some fibrplex at home all the time these days and some metaclopramide syrup which bertie is having daily..so i gave her osme metaclop but not fibreplex...as she got right to vets and he burred her teeth spurs not big but that bothers her even if theyre tiny.

keep a bun warm and try to not move his stuff aorund too much either.they freak out form the vets and then freak out at home and stress manages to worsen it further!

fingers crossed the fibreplex will shift the poo..golden poos glaore by morning eh..hopefully.

if not then its prob dental probs which if spurs can be burred away and bunny will begin eating again right away..bif always does! but shes a comfort eater:lol:

Hi PurpleBumble..:wave:

Thanks!.. I know I've posted in here before with one thing or another, and It's almost like Im in a constant state of worry..I suppose it's like having a child in that sense..

I forgot to mention, the vet checked his teeth and said they were fine.. she never mentioned shringe feeding, but my gf said the vet seemed to think he would perk up again and start eating.

He's not really eating any hay, I've tried all sorts to try and get him to eat some, but he doesn't seem too interested, he did go kind of manic last night though to eat wallpaper almost where I had to literally pull him off the wall, I read that can be because theyre craving fibre, but he has all sorts of different hays, timothy, brome etc but wont eat them (yet)..

It sounds like you got treating your bunny down to a fine art, something I think Im still learning, hes such a nightmare when it comes to meds.. I usually end up having to resort to squirting stuff on his front leg so he licks it off, but thats terribly wasteful and not really sure how effecient that is..:S...

It sounds like you have plenty of fun too with your bun, theyre such a joy even now I have to look at myself and wonder what amazing little critters they are. and sooo lovable..and loving.. (high maintenance though)..then again so is my gf....:roll: anyway..

Im going to try and give him some more fibreplex now, and lots of TLC..

thanks for your reply~!. and for the support, (and to everyone)

M

just a little update of what I hope is a good sign..

He still didn't eat last night, but had a small drink.. but I went to town this morning to get some fresh veggies,

And he ate a whole small pile of kale, and some carrot sticks, and ate them with enthusiasm too (im hoping thats a good sign)

He still wont touch his dried food or hay, but at least hes eating something.

I'm going to order some different hays and try and entice him with them..

Thanks everyone for your support.. and snugs sends HUGS*

M

Glad he is feeling a little better. Have you tried to give him some fresh pineapple juice, that helps too.

I had to take Homer to vet to have his teeth done tonight and an hour before we were due to go he started throwing himself round, I mentioned it to the vet so he too has had metacloprimide tonight.:roll: Hopefully it was just the fact we left his teeth a few days longer than normal and he will be OK now.

Hi Bunny Babe..:)

Thanks!..

Yea, I should imagine, it's his teeth making it uncomftable for him.. I know I had a hard time eating anything too after I've been to the dentist:roll:.. I'm not sure if the gut motility drug is instant or a kind of slow release one sort of thing. snuggs cetainly seemed to tuck into his veg though, and poor little thing must be starving cuz hes normally a guzzler...

Still having a hard time getting fibreplex in him, so been splodging it on his paw and getting him to lick it off, I was thinking about mixing some in with his veggies but he seems to run a mile when he smells the fibreplex and Im worried about putting him off his veggie too as thats all he will eat at the moment.. sooo

I have tried pineaple but he hates it and runs from that too, though I usually add a couple of drops to his water I dont know if thats enough though for the enzyme to be effective..

but hopefully him eating anyhing is a good sign and will keep his guts working while everything hopefully comes back into balance..

VIBES for you Homer for tonight, and Bunny Hugs.. ( man if my mates saw me talk like this, I would never hear the end of it lol) but bunnies just have that effect:)

Hope you and homer have a Wonderful relaxing evening! and hope he soon tooks into his food:)

M

Hi Bunny Babe..:)

VIBES for you Homer for tonight, and Bunny Hugs.. ( man if my mates saw me talk like this, I would never hear the end of it lol) but bunnies just have that effect:)

Hope you and homer have a Wonderful relaxing evening! and hope he soon tooks into his food:)

M

Yes, bunnies do make you go all soft.:D

Thanks, he is not looking like he wants anything to eat at the moment so I guess I might have to take a trip to Tesco to see what goodies they have to try and tempt him. I have some Science Selective in so will give him that tonight if he won't eat (on my vets advice).

Good Luck Bunny Babe, you know I noticed with some of my freinds that a lot of their pets for some reason are acting a bit strange too.. I wonder with animals being so sensitive, theyre affected by other things that humans dont really noticed..

Ie, changes in the magnetic grids, or energies affecting the planet etc..

Sending "Vibes" to Homer.. and some appatite vibes:).. keep us posted and let us know how everything goes..

it's strange, snuggles is eating kale now like theres no tommorrow, but totally wont touch his dry foods, hay or grass, but just wants kale... which I heard is high in fibre which is good, but I'm worried about giving him too much of that, so it looks like i will have to take a trip to the supermarket myself and see what other veggies there is.

Last time he wouldnt eat:

Romaine Lettuce, Parsley, Brocoli..pretty much any greens really except Kale, but maybe now he will.

Also, he's just done a little poop, its not much, but a lot bigger than the peppercorns a couple of nights ago..

Soo, all in all, Im hoping this is good sign..

Good luck at the supermarket, let us know what you found and what worked:)

I can truly understand now why theyre classed as exotics..:shock:

M

what you have is a GI stasis. You should continue to monitor her stomach, especially the left side. If you are holding your bun around you, and his back is in front of you, i.e., his eye away from you towards the wall, then it's the left side that you need to double check.

IF it feels bloat, it feels hard, then it's a physical blockage (furniture or carpet fiber) that can't pass thru the intestine. They can die from it. My bridge bun Monty passed away because of that.

If it's not bloat, just click the following link, the step by step print out is all you need

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=124510

Hi Happy Hopping:)

Thanks!..

do you mean monitor the left side of his tum?...

to be honest Im kinda confused what to do now, because..

He's eating, but will only eat spring greens, Kale, and Carrot.. wont touch his pellets or dry foods, or the hay he has at the moment, (I've just ordered him some other types of hays to try that)..

He's still very active, cheeky, looking for treats and strectching out, chilling out etc, and not showing any signs of pain..

But he's not pooping very much..

so I don't know if I should take him back to the vets or just keep him on veggies for a couple of days, the vets really stresses him out. I've never experienced this so Im not sure how long recovery is etc..

at the moment, Im giving him a tiny amount of kale, and spring green every couple of hours .

Thanks, and thanks for the link.. Im still checking them out..

M

When Katy was ill at Christmas it was a while before she would eat pellets. As long as he is eating it is a good thing. You are doing everything right and he seems well in himself. If you can increase his fluid it will help things to pass. I always wash my veg and leave as much water on them as I can too.

Main thing that started Homer eating tonight was carrot tops and Thyme, then kale. Within the last hour is is eating most other goodies including his pellets which I was surprised at (and delighted to see).

It may be worth calling your vet to see whether they advise that you go in or make a follow up appt to be on the safe side.

Hope he starts to eat his hay and pellets soon. Sending some "eating pellets" vibes.

hey!.

Thanks Bunny Babe..

I wonder if our buns are psychically connected, right before I popped back here, he went over to his bowl and ate ........ A PELLET! lol.. only one, but its the first dried food I seen him eat for the last few days.. weirdly, it wasnt his usual pellet either.

I bought some science selective a while back, and thought I would try him on them, back then he ran a mile and wasnt interested so I put them away, so just to try everything I put a couple in his dish earlier.. and right before I poped back here he went to his dish an ate one.. then I noticed your bun started to eat his pellets too.. :O

Thanks for the confirmation, I been sleeping on and off sort of thing every few hours to keep an eye on him, but its starting to take its toll as I feel like a zombie now

I will phone the vets in the morning, and see what they say.. I was just worried about giving him too much veg in case he gets gas sort of thing, or he ends up with a veg overload..

Im still giving him, well trying to give him fibreplex too, but ye, he seems fine in himself and very alert, cheeky etc..

Sooo..

Here's to our and everyone elses buns ((((((( to a happy long and binky filled life))))

Thanks for the well wishes:)

any more developments I will update..

love & light, and a wonderful appetite

M

For a healthy rabbit, its diet should composed of 90% hay. Pellet is what they like, not what their major source of food. However, that's for a normal bun, your one just came out of a GI stasis, so it will take a few days. So for now, veggies or whatever she likes to eat is fine.

Hi Happy Hopping..

Thanks, Im hoping he's coming out of it, its kinda hard to tell where hes at.. he started eating some of his pellets, just a tiny munch here and there but a bit more frequent..over the couple of days.

However I havnt seen him drink the last two days, its weird first he was drinking and not eating, and now he seems to be eating more and not drinking:?. He's been having a lot more veg than usual due to him not eating as much dry food, and I've been washing the veg in extra water.

But I wouldn't of thought that would be enough to make him stop drinking.. he also pooped a little bit more last night than he has been, but theyre still small, not as small a few days ago though. He seems to be peeing as normal

I'm just really worried about him getting enough fluids now, so I think Im gonna take him back to the vets tommorrow.

Its all kinda confusing with the eating/drinking thing...

hes still full of energy and up to mischeif, and doesnt seem listless or lethargic.:s and I've been giving him lots of tummy rubs..

M

If your bun has GI stasis, and he is given pain killer, then his diet should be reasonable within a few days, and I never seen a bun who won't drink water due to GI stasis. 2 of my bridge bun, Little Happy and Goofball, had a handful of Gi stasis, and they drank water just fine.

The only cases that I have seen my own bun did not drink water, so happened were the above 2 buns, on 2 separate unrelated cases of cancer.

For the time being, I would take him indoor and watch him 24 hr. a day. You can put him in a room that you are always in, and see how often he drinks water

Back