• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Annoyed at vet labs.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Some of you may have read Kizzy's story. Part of our story meant that we decided to test for diabetes ( we were trying anything). Our vets called the labs to see if they could do a fuctosamine test on Kizzy, this is used to diagnose diabetes in cats and dogs. The labs said YES, so we sent off a sample. We got the results back yesterday, but the lab now say they don't have results for normal rabbits, so we don't really know wht Kizzy's results mean. Our vets are quite annoyed by this, and thankfully as staff I get 50% discount, but how unfair is this, we can only compare her results to cats and dogs- who knows if this is normal. It is all accademic now as Kizzy was PTS today, but for those of us who tend to push for a diagnosis, make sure those who promise a result can actually fullfil that promise!

How frustrating for you :( If you are like me I always want all the answers when I loose a bunny and get very upset if I don't find them.

When Evie became really ill, they took in house bloods and the results showed that her white blood cells and a few other things were off the scale, so they sent the results to a lab as urgent, saying they would be back in 24 hours.
Evie deteriorated but we tried to keep her going til the results came back, unfortunately she died later that day and I felt so guilty as I felt she had suffered more than she should because I was waiting for the results.

The results didn't come back for 10 days and came back normal! I was so upset as I will never know what happened. If I hadn't have had everything resting on the results I would have had a pm done. But obviously it was far to late for that :(

Back