• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adoption in pets at home?

cotton tail

Young Bun
I went to have a look in my local pets at home and they have 2 rabbits in the adoption bit so i asked about how it works and got told they would be looking at a donation of £13 as they sell rabbits at £26 but its up to me:?
So went to meet the lop and she is 5 months old and is there as no-one wanted to buy her and she is to old for the shop floor:? She was lovely happy to come and say hi so now im thinking about going to get her but would it be a problem to bond her with a bigger breed?
And the other one is also the same to old:roll:
I find it strange that 5 months is old

She should be fine with a bigger breed. Which lop is she? As long as the difference is not huge (like a dwarf with a giant) than it's fine. 5 months isn't old at all, but to pet shops, it is. They want to sell when they are young and cute, as they sell them best then, so I suspect why they put her in the adoption section.

Maybe do a search on this forum for pets at home and see some of the threads on this subject. Strangley p@h say they don't have many go into the adoption centre that are old stock that have out grown the baby section, but that is quite clearly not true.

Why not check out a rescue locally? If you pay £40 for a rabbit thats neutered and vaccinated, it works out a lot cheaper than paying £13 for the rabbit and doing the neutering and vaccination yourself through a private vet.

PAH stores vary depending on the individual staff
Some are very good and their adoption centres are used for unwanted pets people hand in..
others do move "old" stock into these sections..it is better than when they returned them to supplier..but still not what the sections were planned for

I would second the suggestion that you look into your local rescues or search Rabbit Rehome for a ready neutered bunny...it really does work out cheaper and you will be given lots of good advice on rabbit care....or travel a bit further afield to a PAH store that has actual rescue buns up for adoption:D

I just thought she was sweet and found it really sad :cry:
So what happens if they don't get new homes?
I have been looking at rescue rabbits aswell,a friend of mine is giving me her wendy house at the weekend but will need to make a run or rabbit proof my garden.
My hubby is in the forces which sometimes seems to be a drama rehoming from a rescue :roll:
At the moment i have two dogs one spaniel x lab and one old english sheep dog x airedale that go with us as they have passports:D

As they have been transferred to the adoption bit..they will stay until nerw homes are found..
sadly this transferring of stock is what puts some rescues off pairing up with PAH

Luckily we have a great local PAH store and staff:D

but I will repeat ..in this case I would say support your local rescue centre.
if you pay them a visit I'm sure you willo see loads of bunnies who will pull at your heart strings just as much

do you mean you move around a lot? adn do you move overseas? this is probly why rescues get a bit concerned as buns dont do very long distance travel ie areo planes well at all and they are a long term commitment(as you know they can live to 14 years) if you did adopt this bun(better ideally to get a rescue) you need to think about quARINTINE FOR A FEW WEEKS FORM YOUR OWN BUN....(sorry caps lock) and cost of spey for her and neuter of your on bun if not already done... vaccinations both vhd and myxi costs as well as pannacur costs and possible dental issues or other problems the bun may have that you dont know about.... also ensure you have seperate accomodation for new bun when arrives and somewher you can neutralise adn spend the time bonding them good luck with which ever bun yo uend up with xx

Also watch out getting females from this section. I know 2 people who "adopted" (both old stock) buns from Barnsley P@H & both were pregnant. P@H did offer to take the babies to sell on at 8 weeks, but most of one litter died & the other lady decided to sell the babies herself.

You can get a Rescue bun for not much more than that, & it will already have been spayed:D The Rescue may also bond for you

I dont have any rabbits at the moment:)
Im in the process of finding a rabbit i just meant if i got the one at p@h first could i bond it with a bigger rabbit:)
I have been looking at all the rescue rabbits old,young,bonded and single and if i had the space id have them all:love:
We do move around every 2 years so i have 2 years here then move on we have been to Germany but went in the car with kids and dogs.

Back