PDA

View Full Version : preventing bladder crystals

Hugbut
19-11-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm paranoid about my buns (especially Phoebe) getting bladder sludge.Is there any supplements i can give them to help prevent it? I am already careful about how much calcium-rich veg i give them (they both love kale but i ration it!) So i was just wondering if there is anything else i could be doing to prevent this nastiness?

Jack's-Jane
19-11-2008, 06:47 PM
A good water intake
Lots of exercise
Not letting Bun become overweight
Moderate foodstuffs known to be very high in calcium

:)

Bluesmum
19-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Blue had this a little while ago......Vet said to filter his water and put him on a diet
I've also cut down on high calcium veg and food.

sutcliffe_l
21-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Which are the high calcium foods. I just lost a bun to Rainbow bridge cos of crystals and never want it to happen again, I miss her so much, how can I prevent it?

Jack's-Jane
22-11-2008, 06:38 AM
Which are the high calcium foods. I just lost a bun to Rainbow bridge cos of crystals and never want it to happen again, I miss her so much, how can I prevent it?

I am sorry you lost your Bunny :cry:

This link gives some info about Calcium problems in Rabbits

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/calcium.htm

:)

Hinge
22-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Parsley tea is good for the human urinary tract and will get rid off kidney stones within a 'week'. It helped a mate of mine on rat poison (Warfarin I think) which were affecting his kidneys. So it might be useful in getting rid of the sludge.

I would recommend adding a fresh leave of parsley anyway to the daily feed.

areia
22-11-2008, 08:44 PM
i thought parsley had a high calcium gawd its so confusing

ah looked at the list it does, so how can parsely water help rid calcium stones:?

Hinge
23-11-2008, 02:26 PM
i thought parsley had a high calcium gawd its so confusing

ah looked at the list it does, so how can parsely water help rid calcium stones:?
A compound called apiol in parsley help with the getting rid of stones. Parsley in general help to flush out waste products.