• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Locust Bean Treats Stink!

Rabbers

Mama Doe
lol! I bought a bag the other day for the hamsters and rabbits to share for treats, and they reek!!!

I thought they looked like a healthy treat, but they are stinky stinky stinky!!!
cheap tho :roll:

make sure you shake each one..if the seed is inside it ie it rattles dont feeed it as it is poisonous... they must be de seeded first...

I didnt think rabbits were supposed to eat locust beans :?

I thought that, too. But maybe what I read was in relation to the seed?

My first ever bunny used to adore these - I fed her mixed food (didn't know better! :oops: ) and she'd pick all these out first. Noticed Wilkos selling them recently and thought of her. ^^

Gonna be interested to sit and watch to see if they're considered a good treat now. :p

*flops & waits*

Id love to know as well. One of my mum's buns only eats a mix which has locust beans in & she spends ages picking them all out before bun is fed :lol:

i bought a green bag of them specifically labelled treats for buns, hamsters etc.... :?

\I thought they looked like a healthy treat lol!!!!

I'll do a bit of research to find out.

Frances Harcourt Brown says that the bean husks are sweet and palatable to buns, but its the seed that is indigestable and so can get stuck in the gut and cause blockages. So for that reason many manufacturers of mixes do not include locust bean husks due to the risk of the odd seed getting in the mix and causing problems.

So i would say the bag of husks are ok - I feed them one by one by hand as a treat, therefore i can check if there is a seed lurking!

They do love them :love:

Back