• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Heart breaking

Lynne18

Warren Scout
Remember I let one of my babies go to a friend who I thought would look after him? Well she just sent me a text saying would it be ok to release him into the wild as he has an eye infection and she cant afford the vet fees.:cry::evil:

I want to take him back but was only here whinging the other day because I'm broke and can hardly afford to look after my eight properly.

Have spoken to hubby but I need to take him back don't I. He's one of mine.

Just really upset ant my friend.

Well maybe if you took him back you could rehome him via rabbits in need or rabbit rehome?

Such a shame and I can fully see why you're feeling obliged to take him back,do you think perhaps your friend is counting on that?

Get him back, if your friend or yourself are on any type of benefits then you can get treatment via the RSPCA's animal hospitals or you could even phone them for advice.

He will come home to me. Whatever. He'll be neutured and paired off to a sibling in no time (well a month or two). It's so frustrating. :(

Oh my goodness, how could she even think that! Take him back and I'm sure someone here can make arrangements with you to help get him sorted.

that's horrible to hear. The bottom line is, you can only take care of as many rabbits as you can financially handle

However, your friend may be able to arrange a monthly payment w/ a vet, as it's very heartless to dump a rabbit in the wild when she's sick.

I was in serious financial trouble from Jan 2005 to Feb. 2007, and my bridge bun Goofball was having dental problem, bone cancer etc. during those 2 yr. On Feb. 2007, I re-finance my house to get a larger line of credit to help out the vet bills. W/ Goofball, turns out I spent $12K on all 5 surgery plus blackberry treatment for bone cancer, but it's money well spent

that's horrible to hear. The bottom line is, you can only take care of as many rabbits as you can financially handle

However, your friend may be able to arrange a monthly payment w/ a vet, as it's very heartless to dump a rabbit in the wild when she's sick.

I was in serious financial trouble from Jan 2005 to Feb. 2007, and my bridge bun Goofball was having dental problem, bone cancer etc. during those 2 yr. On Feb. 2007, I re-finance my house to get a larger line of credit to help out the vet bills. W/ Goofball, turns out I spent $12K on all 5 surgery plus blackberry treatment for bone cancer, but it's money well spent

I think if the friend is even contemplating releasing the bun into the wild, then she clearly doesn't understand what a commitment rabbits are and certainly shouldn't be encouraged to keep the rabbit. :cry:

Tell her that's illegal too. Is it definitely an eye infection?

Keep away from your own buns in case it's myxi

I'm going to see him tonight. He was the one who was diagnosed with myxi a few weeks back. Turned out not to be myxi and the eye and lumps cleared up (still a mystery as to what it was:?) but now it seems the eye infection has returned.:(

A trip to the vet is necessary. I'm hoping she'll keep him for a few days until whatever is cleared and he's given an all clear from the vets. Then i'll break the news to hubby.

OMFG!! Who the HELL would even contemplate doing such a thing!?!!??!??!?!?? She can rehome the little guy, or you could take him back and rehome him? Or mayb you could pop him into the RSPCA??

Back