• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT - advice needed on Osteomyelitis U/D Found another growth =[

Banni Binky

Warren Scout
I apologise for not being around on the forums for a while - had a lot going on lately. Not only is Tila sick, but so am I - I put myself into hospital lastnight due to stress over him =[

But back to the point. If any of you remembr reading the thread in Rabbit Chat, we thought Tila had a callouse on th jaw bone from a recent injury, thus having to haveregular teeth trims.

But two weeks later (Monday..) His teeth were way overgrown already. So I took him to see the same vet as last time, she has been very good with him the year I have had him. She ordered an x-ray, to rule out any 3 of 4 possibilities. He had the x-ray today, and I received a phonecall to say he was a very good bun and didn't need sedating. He isnt home yet but will be in a couple of hours. However, there was also bad news.

A fracture or callouse had been ruled out, and so had a root abcess. Thus, only leaving the possibility of Osteomyelitis. My vet cannot confirm until tomorrow, when she gets a second opinion from the radiographer...

What are options for treatment, prognosis etc? Ive been told Buns tend to respond poorly to osteomyelitis treatment =[. Are there more than one treatment options, which seems to work best? I'd like to have some backup knowledge to discuss with the vet when we get a diagnosis tomorrow.

Either way, Tila will have to have his front teeth removed as part of the treatment, as they are growing too aggressively and trimming every two weeks is too stressful on him.

I don't want to lose him. But if the treatment will only prolong his life for a short time and thus prolonging the pain... In my eyes that is cruel, but I am willing to try treatment before the other option.

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear about Tila :cry:

Are you in the USA ? If so your Vet may be able to prescribe Bicilin which has been found to be very effective in the treatment of osteomyelitis.
Unfortunately Bicilin is not available in the UK and it is illegal to import it and administer it without obtaining a special licence.

In the UK Depocillin or a Cepholosporin antibiotic such as Ceporex may be used. I have had several Buns with Osteomyelitis whose symptoms were controlled by Depocillin and pain relief. Sometimes surgery to remove the diseased bone may be suggested but personally I could not put a Rabbit through that.

Here are some links about Osteomyelitis

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/Chronic-Osteomyelitis-options.htm

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/Rabbit-Osteomyelitis.htm

http://jcm.asm.org/cgi/content/full/40/3/1044?view=full&pmid=11880435

Please keep us updated about Tila

:)

This condition was suggested to me when my rabbit first had his skull X-ray. He does not have any abcesses, his problem is that his teeth have grown through his jaw (molars), I was mortified when I was told.

This was a year ago and Homer is still here with us and very happy, he has to have a dental (conscious) every 4-5 weeks to keep his condition under control. He does not have any medication as it is not necessary.

When I started to research I came across the same information as Jacks-Jane has told you re treatment.

I wish you and Tila best of luck and hope that this can be treated successfully.

Thanks for your support, guys.

Jacks-Jane: I'm in Australia =]

I had a call from the vet today. Well, my mum did, I was at work so she passed the message on.

The radiographer had a look, and they found a second growth in his facial bone near his molar. This one is much smaller than the jaw one, so has a better prognosis at healing.

At the moment, the treatment plan is removal of the front teeth, and antibiotics for a month before another scan to see whether or not we should keep going, or draw the line. I don't know the antibiotic's name, my mum isn't good at remembering those things. He begins treatment with the operation next thursday.

Even if we can successfully treat these two, as you know there is every chance it will reccurr elsewhere in his body. I don't want to say it, but that is where the line stops. I don't think I could put him through it all constantly. But I think it's worth trying with these two, he's young and otherwise healthy.

Besides, I'm spending a whole week's wage on his first month of treatment...

I'll be angry at myself if the treatment doesnt work and I have to let him go, but I'll be even angrier if I let him go without trying.

Has anyone else had any experience with Osteomyelitis?

Back