• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how long can you assist feed a bunny?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
berties still not wel...hes having two lots of 140ml oxbow cc a day along with metacop syrup and zantac. hes eating a little hay and a mouthful maybe of pellets a day and at least one drink form his bowl..a small drink.
today i cut out one feed to see if he wanted to eat pellets.he hardly touched them and was very weak..so we fed him.

hes been this way since wilow died but the enforced regime with meds has been since 3rd nov i think...or maybe two days after..i get so sleep deprived and confused!
but hes still eating via syringe.he ownt lap it off a dish saucer etc or bowl......

is it cos hes liking the attention too even tho he struggles he also sits and eats a lot in one go befoe he complains again.

i have no probs if this is the way to get him ok..but i worry we are doing wrong feeding him maybe its filling up his tummy too much..but then after tonite im not so sure.

how long is ok for a frenchie.......the vet said i just had to do it for as long as it took..but i do worry bout him so...being suddenly widowed has floored him even more than us:(

ok...well i thought somebody may hve had experience of what seems to be a grief stricken depressed bunny still refusing to eat n drink and still on meds and syringe feeds.....for a big bun.....hes likely to have probs long term like this isnt he?

im ringin the vets 2 moro.....not taking him..ringing as i cant stress him out anymore..her advice.

Over two weeks of syringe feeding without improvement suggests that he needs reassessment and maybe further investigation to see if the stress of losing his companion has led to deterioration of another problem. Not actually eating fibrous food can lead to molar overgrowth easily within this time so a dental exam is essential. I would be a bit concerned that he's not improving and that he was weak and inappetant when you stopped.

i havent stopped..hes still being syringe fed..but its going to be later on today first feed now as im having blackouts and hes very sleepy after some hay and a cuddle fuss.

im at the moment awaiting a phone call back from the vet..if shes not late for surgery at the hospital that is!

even the receptionist was surprised to hear he hadnt improved:(

in fact he was eating more hay at the beginning and eating some pellets from my hand..then he just got worse picked up a little..got worse then stabilised to what he is now. hes still managing a piece of weetabix now and then...i know but its something he cant resist and anything to get him eating again.

i wonder if his mouth got sore from the cheek gag?

ellen rang me back and said to try 48hrs with no assisted feeds and no meds...hes eating minute amounts of pellets..some hay..but hes eaten lots of banana today..he was too ill to munch a small piece few days ago. he is pooing not much but theyre a good size etc..hes weed on the floor delibaretly in places and yes still red etc but theyre huge compared to his other wees so hes drinking a little not much but more than he was to wee so much.
ill ring ellen 2 moro to update her but i think now its up to bertie..he still gets many hugs on settee every day n night tho..hes very lonely:(

Back