• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit humping causing fighting

ajm44

Young Bun
Daisy and Ben have recently been bonded ( almost 3 weeks now) and all has been gong really well-lots of snuggling together etc.Daisy has always been the dominant rabbit and we had her first so its still reasonably new territory for him. They have both been spayed/ neutered but he has just started to try to hump her. She hates it and so they have just started fighting after it all has been going so well. I found huge clumps of fur this morning and again this evening. What should I do please. How normal is this. Is Ben just getting more used to everything and feeling more confident? Should Daisy not like the attention. I thought rabbits should like this sort of action:)

she wont like it as she will still try and assert her donimance, so shes got her nose put out of joint she was like this in the beggining,
how long are the fights ?

it most likely they will fight from time to time, bigs and carrie have there spats, when he realises hes not going to get anywhere he most likely will stop, could be the fact as hes so comfy in your place hes wants to up is domiance a bit, its took 5 months for bigs and carrie to really show love for each other,

they are both confident characters, just decrease the space again untill they settle

Hi ....,

Yes they have been getting along so well and the fights are lasting only 5 mins or so- no squealing or anything and Benjy is going for her too- not backing away like he did in the beginning. Its just the amount of fur ( from both of them) -handfuls honestly= that concerns me, They have been having more freedom recently, so I will give them less for a while. Makes a change for Daisy to be bossed eh?:)

if he trying to mount and she dont want i know jolly well she will tell him, :lol: i think you will get more fur due to the fact he wont be told what to do either, id go for the decrease space until they deffinaly settle again, are you letting them both out at the same time, and not one at a time jealously can sometime occur spesh as shes very much a people bunny

Also... I am suprised she would not like it... surely that what rabbits like to do. Should I give him a humpimg toy that he can maybe take out his ' energy out on!'

Yes both let out together and we try to give hem both love and cuddles at the same time too, and they usually follow ech other around but today she has been trying to get as far away as possible- she's not happy with him:lol:. Will def keep them more confined until it hopefully calms down

^ hi - I have a similar situation with the "handfuls of fur".

My 3 bunnies get on really well but this weekend the girl (unspayed) has started trying to hump the two boys like crazy!!(they are neutered). When I go into their shed I often find clumps of fur!!

When I've witnessed the humping attempts theres been no fighting as such but am still a little worried about all the fur. Also one of the boys sometimes tries to hump the other boy!

Will be interested to hear how your two get on!

^ hi - I have a similar situation with the "handfuls of fur".

My 3 bunnies get on really well but this weekend the girl (unspayed) has started trying to hump the two boys like crazy!!(they are neutered). When I go into their shed I often find clumps of fur!!

When I've witnessed the humping attempts theres been no fighting as such but am still a little worried about all the fur. Also one of the boys sometimes tries to hump the other boy!

Will be interested to hear how your two get on!

Id spey your girl, as it may make her hormones settle a bit, and over 80% of female unspeyed buns get cancer. :wave:

^ thanks. Yes I'm planning to spey the girl quite soon.

There was no more flying fur when I checked the bunny shed after work yesterday! But she still chases them around alot when outside. The two boy bunnies absolutely adore her though, she's very obviously the queen of the hutch!

ps. your bunnies pictures are so incredibly cute!! Moonshine looks a tiny bit like my buns.

Last edited:
I take it they have access to different areas depending on the time of day then? I think this is probably your problem. Because they don't have access to an area all the time each time you let them out they need to re-establish dominance for that area. A new place can often trigger fights.

You may find that this gradually settles down and if not, having a run or similar so they can have safe permanent access to exercise space might resolve it.

In the mean time try to stick to a routine as much as possible and don't introduce any extra new places eg bring them inside or to a different area.

Tamsin

^ thanks. Yes I'm planning to spey the girl quite soon.

There was no more flying fur when I checked the bunny shed after work yesterday! But she still chases them around alot when outside. The two boy bunnies absolutely adore her though, she's very obviously the queen of the hutch!

ps. your bunnies pictures are so incredibly cute!! Moonshine looks a tiny bit like my buns.

They look like Angels, but it couldn't be further than the truth!!:roll::lol::love:

Back