• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hazel has head tilt

Lillian

Warren Veteran
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

My special bunny Hazel-Rah got head tilt today, he has brain parasites :cry: I feel terrible, its all my fault for being bad owner. VIBES please

this is not your fault, it can be caused by many things. My bunny had it earlier this year and has made a great recovery. What meds do you have?
sending lots of vibes

Its definately not your fault!!

My bun got head tilt at the end of April and has still got it....he is back to normal apart from having a tilted head, just sees the world from a different angle.

How bad is his tilt? Is he rolling, does he have nystygmus (flickering eye)?

Think you need to get him to the vets and on panacur and baytril first thing tomorrow.

If you have any questions about head tilt buns, i can answer best i can with my experience with kermit.....i feel for you right now, hope he gets through it .

Its definately not your fault!!

My bun got head tilt at the end of April and has still got it....he is back to normal apart from having a tilted head, just sees the world from a different angle.

How bad is his tilt? Is he rolling, does he have nystygmus (flickering eye)?

Think you need to get him to the vets and on panacur and baytril first thing tomorrow.

If you have any questions about head tilt buns, i can answer best i can with my experience with kermit.....i feel for you right now, hope he gets through it .

He's been to the vets, as soon as i saw he had head tilt i got him straight to the vets. She said it was caused by brain parasites and has put him on panacur for 9 days. Then he needs to go back. He isnt in a terrrible state, but he seems unhappy :( All the other buns in his shed are being treated just in case. The vet said he will never fully recover and may relapse now and then :cry: Will his neck/head straighten up again or will he remain tilted? :(

If he has a suspected case of EC (the brain parasite) then he needs treatment for 6 weeks, the other buns that havent got symptoms are fine with the 9day course.

My kermits head straightened slightly, but he still has a very noticeable tilt, but i still love him! However i have read of many cases where the head simply rectifies itself over time, fingers crossed for you that this will happen.

Is your vet definately sure that it is brain related, im not doubting your vet, but just want to check that she has rules out an inner ear infection, as this can have the same symptoms as EC.

My boy was much worse, he couldnt even stand when he got head tilt, and if he tried to then he just continually rolled, he was like this for about 4-6weeks! Its just taken him until now, 6months later, to start to really resemble the bunster he was!!
At least your baby sounds better than kermit was!

Here is a link to see how ill my boy was (excuse the adverts & my accent!!), this was after two weeks, he was far too bad previous to that for me to even think about videoing him!

http://s374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/kirstykermit/?action=view&current=P1011095.flv

Last edited:
Is it right that a sudden head tilt is more likely to be caused by an ear infection and not EC?? Could you ask your vet to check for this too?

Don't blame yourself these things can happen and are most of the time out of your control. I hope he gets well soon xx

Is it right that a sudden head tilt is more likely to be caused by an ear infection and not EC?? Could you ask your vet to check for this too?

I agree - also 9 days is for worming. When I had an EC-bun, the manufacturers of Panacur & vets advised to treat for 6 weeks for a confirmed case of EC. Other vets recommend 28 days

I don't know the ratio of head tilt that is caused by EC and those for inner ear infection.

My Daisy has an inner ear infection. which was only picked up by x-rays at Bristol. No pus from the ear. She tested negative for EC.

I think its a good idea to treat for EC and see if there is any improvement.

If he has a suspected case of EC (the brain parasite) then he needs treatment for 6 weeks, the other buns that havent got symptoms are fine with the 9day course.

My kermits head straightened slightly, but he still has a very noticeable tilt, but i still love him! However i have read of many cases where the head simply rectifies itself over time, fingers crossed for you that this will happen.

Is your vet definately sure that it is brain related, im not doubting your vet, but just want to check that she has rules out an inner ear infection, as this can have the same symptoms as EC.

My boy was much worse, he couldnt even stand when he got head tilt, and if he tried to then he just continually rolled, he was like this for about 4-6weeks! Its just taken him until now, 6months later, to start to really resemble the bunster he was!!
At least your baby sounds better than kermit was!

Here is a link to see how ill my boy was (excuse the adverts & my accent!!), this was after two weeks, he was far too bad previous to that for me to even think about videoing him!

http://s374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/kirstykermit/?action=view&current=P1011095.flv

Aww poor bun :( Some years ago i had a lop bunny called Basil, and one day i noticed her head was tilted and i told my mum but we had never heard of head tilt and thought she might just have a ear ache, so we left her. The next day i came home from school and my mum told me when she went to check on the buns Basil was rolling uncontrollably, so she rushed her to the vets and they said it was the brain parasite thing and she was pts :cry: Knowing what i do now we probably could have saved her.

The vet checked in Hazel's ears to see if it was an infection but said they are all clear, so she believes its in the brain. I really don't know anything about E.C sadly none of my rabbit books seem to mention it :evil: And i had to go to the vets without my parents (which was very difficult because of anxiety problems, i dont normally leave the house) so i probably should have asked alot of questions that i didn't. The vet wants to see Hazel in 8 days, so i can get more pancur and keep him on it as long as he needs it. He is able to stand fine, he just doesnt walk about if you put him down, plus when you hold him his head tilt is alot worse. But i'm more hopeful now :)

could you get a blood test hun to confirm the e.c? idont think its very professional for a vet to diagnose anything without proof. if it is e.c i would treat all your buns just incase as with Hazel being the dad to a couple of your buns its possible he could have passed e.c through mating.

could you get a blood test hun to confirm the e.c? idont think its very professional for a vet to diagnose anything without proof. if it is e.c i would treat all your buns just incase as with Hazel being the dad to a couple of your buns its possible he could have passed e.c through mating.

Very little point. A single titre will only show exposure not if infection is active and multiple titres required to make a diagnosis will cost approx. £100 and need to be taken over a long period of time....during which you would not be able to Panacur (to get accurate results) thus meaning the rabbit may suffer more damage.

In my experience & opinion a good vet will start treating for both EC & an IEI immediately and then play it by ear dependant on the results.

Panacuring even if EC is not the cause will not harm the rabbit and costs just a fraction of the price of titre testing.

Had this exact discussion with my vet yesterday on behalf of another RU member. :)

Last edited:
Digger came down with head tilt weeks ago. No ear infection the vet could see, so i have had him on panacur since. He is now on his forth box. His head still has a slight tilt and probably will never be totally back dead straight. I am going to see if after this box has finished it recurs, if it does then i will keep him on it for life. He's has happy as Larry and you wouldn't notice unless you knew him. Panacur can be ordered of the net. Best of luck with your bun.

One of my rabbits has just developed headtilt today :(
The vet has put her on a long course of panacur, a course of baytril and a high dose of metacam to try and reduce the inflamation in the brain.

when my bridge bun willow was very young she suddenly had head tilt i got her to the vets she said there was no sign of an ear infection and said it was Ec she was probbaly going to die or become very disabled and hve to be out down.
i recall coming on here in tears too:(

the vet gave her panacur and baytrilto cover everyhting....a week later her ehad was practically back to normal...my old usual vet said nahnot ec..was an ear infection.....no point testing bloods like you said.

at the time tho we had bif whod been tested for ec and had been exposed to it...so wed panacured them for the 28days anyway.

poor willow shes gone now but i can still see that wickle frenhcie head on one side unable to wash stand move etc without falling or rolling....
she was lucky it was just her ear.

maybe youll find that too hopefulluy..if not there are many experienced ec bunny owners on here who can give advice etc.

One of my rabbits has just developed headtilt today :(
The vet has put her on a long course of panacur, a course of baytril and a high dose of metacam to try and reduce the inflamation in the brain.

Hope bun gets better, or learns to deal with it ok like my kermit :)

I am going to see if after this box has finished it recurs, if it does then i will keep him on it for life.

I dont know about keeping it on it for life, im not an expert, but i think that the bun would build up a tolerance to it and it would become a pointless medication. I would check this out first tho!

Back