• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wet bum... Why?

vicki267

Mama Doe
Hi, for the last week or so I've noticed that Stitch has wet fur around his tail area.

He was neutered about 3 weeks ago and I'm in the process of litter training him with some days more successful than others.

However I'm a little concerned that he isn't cleaning himself properly and that come the summer, if the problem isn't rectified it will attract flies.

He is a house bunny and he is completely blind. He is leaving damp patches on the laminate (from the fur).

I've checked him out down below and other than the wetness he is very clean and the wound has healed very nicely.

He is still leaving poops around whilst out but ok in his cage so I think this is him marking his territory as Arnie is upstairs with Kira.

Can anyone think why he has a wet bum, if it will sort itself out and what I can do in the meantime?

Vicki :wave:

*Edited to say that his 3 litter trays are absorbent with newspaper -> Megazorb -> lots of meadow hay!

Is his blindness related to cataracts?
If so were they the result of EC and has he received any treatment for EC?
One of the (many) symptoms of EC is urinary incontinence.

Another possibility is bladder sludge. This occurs when a build-up of calcium deposits in the bladder form a thick sludge that can irritate the bladder wall causing inflammation/infection.

I would ask your Vet to check Stitch over :)

i gave stitch a 9 day preventative course of pannacur as i didnt feel it was likely to be an active infection if at all the original reason for his one eye to be removed....but decided to preventative course just in case. i do however think he has some sight in remainning eye(tho i know you and your vet disagree) and both mine and vickys vets thought it was likely to have been due to eye abcess (loss of one eye and sight in other) i guess it wouldnt hurt for him to have a 28 day full course if you do believe that it is ec related...... i trust you and the vets to make the right decision on the course of future action. if it is iincontinance of whatever reason he would need daily bum baths to stop him getting urine scold. im sorry to hear he is having problems he seemed to be doing so well :( regarding during the summer.. rear gaurd is good to stop any fly eggs from hatching(hope it not come to that but jsut in case) i use it every summer on my buns xx

Last edited:
Yes I know, it's probably only been the past 5 days as the first time I noticed it I put it down to maybe him sitting in a wet patch on the laminate (which it could still be).

I have heard that calcium can do this, however does the wee look sludgy or smell? His doesn't at all.

I also haven't ruled out an infection, due to him recovering from an op. However he seems as perky as usual, not in pain, eating usual and peeing in his caged litter trays ok. As with his urine not smelling etc.

Could it be that he haas just become a little lazy?

It isn't drenched in wee, just the outer fur is a little damp :?

It is frustrating not knowing why he is blind and the one eye removed but I do hope that the poor chap doesn't have an ongoing problem - He doesn't seem to be affected by his lack of sight.

Yes I know, it's probably only been the past 5 days as the first time I noticed it I put it down to maybe him sitting in a wet patch on the laminate (which it could still be).

I have heard that calcium can do this, however does the wee look sludgy or smell? His doesn't at all.

I also haven't ruled out an infection, due to him recovering from an op. However he seems as perky as usual, not in pain, eating usual and peeing in his caged litter trays ok. As with his urine not smelling etc.

Could it be that he haas just become a little lazy?

It isn't drenched in wee, just the outer fur is a little damp :?

It is frustrating not knowing why he is blind and the one eye removed but I do hope that the poor chap doesn't have an ongoing problem - He doesn't seem to be affected by his lack of sight.

i hope it is lazyness(tho he is naughty if it is) wonder if trimming the fur a little so it isnt long (but not too short(if you know what i mean) would help? i did notice while with me he didnt spray but i put it down to not being very hormonal.... i hope that there arent problems..do keep me updated... send him a cuddle from me x

Hehe, have no problem cuddling him for you - He wont leave my side, although jumping on my lap doesn't go down too well at the moment :lol:

I'll see if I can trim back any fur - Although it isn't very long.

He jumped on top of my stereo the other day (it's about 1ft off the ground), I'd stupidly left an empty cereal bowl on top of it and he decided he liked the smell of it :lol:

He is starting to jump higher and higher all the time so will have to watch what we pu on the coffee table...

He is such a little character though :roll::D

Is his blindness related to cataracts?
If so were they the result of EC and has he received any treatment for EC?
One of the (many) symptoms of EC is urinary incontinence.

I would definitely look into this, cos my foster bun Bouncer developed EC symptoms (incontinence) after a neuter. Apparently EC can attack when a bun's immune system is compromised (so after neuter)

Back