• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vhd jag vet said no need??

louise1

Mama Doe
vet said yesterday after giving honey her myxi jag that if shes never gonna go outside theres no need to get her the vhd jag?? is this correct?

vet said yesterday after giving honey her myxi jag that if shes never gonna go outside theres no need to get her the vhd jag?? is this correct?

No, 100% not true! VHD is carried bon anything to anywhere, it's rather like foot and mouth you can walk it into your house on the sole of your shoe! whether inside or out you rabbit needs to be protected

wonder why they would of said that? probably bcoz biting insects aminly reside outdoors lol.... but obviosuly can get indoors. i Just wondered....

wonder why they would of said that? probably bcoz biting insects aminly reside outdoors lol.... but obviosuly can get indoors. i Just wondered....

Sorry louise, i was getting myself confused between VHD and Myxi! Myxi is carried by biting insects VHD is carried by anything

Vets around the country don't see cases of VHD anymore and think that it isn't around. VHD may not show any symptoms at all your rabbit may just seize and die adn alot of rabbit owners not knowing anybetter willl just bury their pet without finding out what killed it. VHD is everywhere it does come and go within the wild population some years there will be more cases than others but it is definatly still around and very deadly!

someone here last week lost two of her buns in 48 hours she wasnt sure what they died of until she asked for a postmortum and it was VHD,

there is a thread somewhere that someone started to let people know when theres a VHD out break in the area.

i would vaccinate against the two,

i know myxi has been prolific around the country this year
VHD sort surprised attacks you not easy to diagonse straight off

I was told this by my vet too. They advised to to think about getting a myxi jab, but also said it is highly unlikely that he would get this as an indoor bun that never has contact with other buns. Since adopting a vaccinated rescue bun, i have since found out that this is all lies and they can still get myxi and Vhd like any other rabbit although less riask of vhd. I am now deffinanly going to get my baby jabbed!!!

I was told that it is myxi that can be spread from owner foot wear etc, not VHD, I think who told me this had the diseases mixed up. or do they both spread that way? I found this on a vetinary website.

VHD can be spread in many ways. It can survive for long periods of time (over 100 days) off rabbits in the environment, and as well as direct contact, it can be spread by insects, birds and on the shoes and clothes of pet owners. For this reason, it is likely that rabbits kept as house rabbits are just as much at risk as those kept outdoors.

There is no known cure for a rabbit that catches VHD. The disease incubates for 1 to 3 days, and then causes a fever, followed by internal bleeding. Affected rabbits will die, often without any symptoms, within 12 to 24 hours. Fortunately, there are no reports of the disease spreading to any other animals, or people.

As vets, we suspect that many cases of the disease go unreported, as rabbits will die so quickly and unexpectedly that owners would not have time to contact us. We have diagnosed several cases recently in the Bracknell area, and the disease has been found in most areas of the UK.

Diagnosis can normally only be made following a post-mortem examination, and often further testing. Some rabbits will have small amounts of blood on their nostrils, mouths or back ends.

If you suspect that any of your rabbits have died of VHD, it is very important to contact your veterinary practice. You need to isolate any other rabbits and use antiviral disinfectants to try and prevent any spread of the virus. If this is done very quickly, it is possible to save some, if not all of the remaining rabbits.

The main way to protect your pet rabbits against VHD is to have them vaccinated. This is a simple injection that allows the immune system to recognize the virus quickly enough to stop an infection. The vaccines are safe to use in healthy rabbits, and should be repeated once a year. It is normally recommended that vaccines in rabbits should be given separately (e.g. from myxomatosis vaccine). It is possible to vaccinate rabbits from an early age, but we generally recommend starting vaccines from approximately 10 weeks old.

Last edited:
I found this on myxi. I must have been informed the worng way round about the two diseases.

How would my pet catch myxomatosis?

Myxomatosis is spread by blood sucking insects such as fleas and mosquitoes. These blood suckers pick up the disease when they bite an infected rabbit and spread it by biting susceptible rabbits. The virus is transferred to the skin when the rabbit is bitten and from here, the virus spreads to the blood where it multiplies rapidly.

How do I know if my rabbit has caught myxomatosis?

Myxomatosis has very obvious symptoms;

· The first signs of myxomatosis are swollen eyelids, lips and ears

· Puffy swellings around the anus and genitalia.

· Within a day or so, swellings become so severe that they can cause blindness and distortion around the face.

· Acute disease is associated with a high fever and rabbits will stop eating and drinking within a few days.

· In many cases, bacterial respiratory infection complicates the disease, encouraging the onset of pneumonia.

How can I prevent my pet from catching myxomatosis?

The disease can be controlled by two main methods;

Vaccination

The best protection owners can give their pet is via vaccination. Your local vet can vaccinate all healthy, non-pregnant rabbits over the age of six weeks, with regular boosters given every six months.

Controlling insects

Keep your rabbit away from wild rabbits
Use insecticidal treatments such as shampoos and repellents, which will control fleas and lessen the likelihood of bites
If you use hay in the hutch, buy this from a reputable location where you can be sure there is no local myxomatosis problem. Fleas can live in hay for months.
Fit an insect screen to an outside hutch to keep them safe from insects throughout the warmer months.

Back