• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just dropped Bella off at the vets U/D METACAM HELP WITH DOSEAGE

Loula

Mama Doe
she's having xrays to try to get to the bottom of what is wrong with her teeth. i hate leaving her :( the place is empty.
i just hope they can finally work out what is wrong with her.

Last edited:
i'm going to collect her now :)

from what the nurse said on the phone it's her back teeth roots that are causing the problems with her eye - they've caused an ulcer to form which is why her eye was sore :(

i'll find out more when i go to pick her up - i just hope everything can be fixed. need lots of vibes for my beautiful bun.

x

Sending vibes teeth problems are quite common in buns and with care and treatment from a good knowledgable vet can be treated fairly easily xx

she's back. she hasn't been at all phased by today and is sat in her basket munching on hay :D

i on the other hand am now completely skint as the price was over double what they said it would be :shock::shock::shock:

she's got metacam and chloramphenicol eye drops. i can't wait to give her it all - she's gonna love me :roll:

i found it very strange however, that the eyedrops are for the eye that seems fine, not the weepy one. i think i might ring back tomorrow to check with the vet because he wasn't in when i went to collect her.

what is the easiest way to get the metacam in her?? she's awful for having things near her mouth. even the vet struggles. any suggestions???

think if you put the metacam in with some mashed banana that helps them, glad you've found out whats wrong with her.

I give my meds on jam sandwiches :oops: I quarter a slice of bread put on some jam then the metacam then cut it into 3 'sarnies'. Not good, but it all goes.

i think i'd need a lot of jam sandwiches - i've got to give 5.2mls twice a day. she's going to hate me!

Metacam tastes nice anyway...it's honey flavoured, so dropping some on her greens should be adequate to get her to take it.

Metacam tastes nice anyway...it's honey flavoured, so dropping some on her greens should be adequate to get her to take it.

have you tried it? :lol:

marsha and lilly hated it. but they loved the spring greens too much not to eat!!

i think i'd need a lot of jam sandwiches - i've got to give 5.2mls twice a day. she's going to hate me!

Err....which Metacam is it? That is a very high dose, on the dog Metacam it should be a maximum of 0.6ml per kg per 24 hours. :?

she's a giant - weighs 7.3kg
it's metacam 1.5mg/ml oral suspension for dogs
we've gotta give 5.2ml twice a day til friday and then she's in for another check and to cut it down apparently. though i'm worrying now that it is too much.

That sounds about right then - at 0.6mls per kg it would be 4.38mls I think - so 5.2 doesn't sound too much - although twice a day makes it 10.4 which does sound lots.

Hope you manage to get it down her - it was a nightmare with Gregory - ended up giving it on alfalfa chips! and lots of get well vibes too!

That sounds about right then - at 0.6mls per kg it would be 4.38mls I think - so 5.2 doesn't sound too much - although twice a day makes it 10.4 which does sound lots.

Hope you manage to get it down her - it was a nightmare with Gregory - ended up giving it on alfalfa chips! and lots of get well vibes too!

Metacam is supposed to be gven once a day, or in a split dose 12 hours apart.
There have been a few posts recently with questionable Metacam doseages listed. :?

after lots of worrying about getting her to take her metacam, and my fella spending all morning syringing it onto broccoli, this evening i thought i'd just try and see if she would take it from the syringe and she absolutely LOVED it. i think she's gonna be an addict by the end of the week! i'm so happy, baytril was hideous to get in her.

Metacam is supposed to be gven once a day, or in a split dose 12 hours apart.
There have been a few posts recently with questionable Metacam doseages listed. :?

I am wondering if this is the same vet in Manchester where the other person was questioning such a high dose (can't remember who it was now). I think I have name of vet somewhere - will go and dig it out.

Edit - Sent you PM with name of vets

Last edited:
yeah it is the same vet. should i reduce the amount i give to her?? we've given her the full amount she was supposed to have today. i'm worrying now.
do you know who else it was who had the problem?

Back