• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How on earth do bunny rescues cope?

bunnyhopper

Mama Doe
On my local freecycle alone, there have been 5 rabbits and 4 baby rabbits advertised as wanting a new home in the last 6 days.
So if I ran a local rescue, would I now be full?

Do you bunny rescue folk take in only rabbits that people bring to you?
Or are you ever tempted to rescue a bunny you read about as unwanted via the ads...

I honestly don't know how you cope with the endless stream of unwanted animals...
but I am glad that you do...
and greatly admire the work you do.

More power to your elbow!

I used to take in free-ad bunnies from my local forums pet section when we had free spaces by PMing the owners to offer them help.

Most of the time the rabbits came to me though. I foster rather than rescue these days, the financial & emotional toll was too much in the end.

Yep we are often full..and it is always tempting to take in more when you see them offered..but important to know your limits

We mostly take from people who contact us to give them in..but have taken highlighted free ads..I don't look anymore as too many we can't help:cry:

Last edited:
I find the best way is to keep a waiting list and then take the at risk and vulnerable buns first. We are always full and running a waiting list :(

I find the best way is to keep a waiting list and then take the at risk and vulnerable buns first. We are always full and running a waiting list :(

same here:D but if I do happen to have more space then I thought then I always try and help another rescue out as this way it makes their waiting list slightly shorter too
As regards freeads I never look

just to add the emotional strain of knowing you can't help them all..is probably one of the worst parts of running a rescue

The best part is seeing a bun that has perhaps come in ill/injured..and you have nursed back to health...settled in a great new loving home..:D

My local RSPCA don't foster and when i asked the rescue i used to work at they said they dont even have a waiting list at the moment and are pretty empty on the rabbit front. When I do searches on here, there are no rabbits looking for homes in dorset, devon or somerset but i know there are loads looking for homes. You only have to look in the ad trader!!

My friend recently 'came unstuck' when looking at 'free to good home ad' for 1 rabbit. She ending up with male and female after being told they were 2 males, and there is now babies. She also took the guinea pigs from the owner. I take my hat off to anyone involved in rescuing and fostering. It would absolutely break my heart knowing that you cannot help all the rabbits. I never look at pet sections in the newpaper or free ads in the pet shops.

ALL YOU RESCUERS ARE HEROES.

I would love to win the lottery so that I could help animals.

My local RSPCA don't foster and when i asked the rescue i used to work at they said they dont even have a waiting list at the moment and are pretty empty on the rabbit front. When I do searches on here, there are no rabbits looking for homes in dorset, devon or somerset but i know there are loads looking for homes. You only have to look in the ad trader!!

Thats probably because people don't realise there are rescues there for rabbits. You have to get the message out there and tell them you can help them.

just to add the emotional strain of knowing you can't help them all..is probably one of the worst parts of running a rescue

I don't know how you cope. Even as just a pet owner, now I have Frank and Dulcie I feel so bad I can't rescue any more like I have with them due to lack of space/money.

A guinea pig rescue local to me (not sure if it's someone on here?) advertises their rescue on the free ads, which I think is a great idea. Anyone looking through the pet ads for a new pet will find about the rescue and (hopefully) call them before contacting someone else.

The ad reads something like "XXXX currently has male and female guinea pigs available for rehoming. Homechecks and donation apply." There's always a nice picture too.

I don't know if they get any responses from it but at least people find out that there are small animal rescues this way.

A guinea pig rescue local to me (not sure if it's someone on here?) advertises their rescue on the free ads, which I think is a great idea. Anyone looking through the pet ads for a new pet will find about the rescue and (hopefully) call them before contacting someone else.

The ad reads something like "XXXX currently has male and female guinea pigs available for rehoming. Homechecks and donation apply." There's always a nice picture too.

I don't know if they get any responses from it but at least people find out that there are small animal rescues this way.

I used to advertise on the free-ads too, I don't know that anyone actually found us that way but hey it was free.

Our local RSPCA advertise in the Ad-Trader type papers here.

I can also vouch for this, I wanted to foster in the future (when I have more time and money) however I may end up setting up a small rescue in about 5 years as there just isn't anywhere local.

When I adopted Stitch I looked everywhere, hence why I had to look further afield for a bun.

Type in rescue rabbits in Bournemouth on Google and you get this site and loads of rubbish.

My website would run at the top, since I'm ok at building websites.

I might make one when I have more time giving the details of RSPCA's and this site and when I do open up a rescue in years to come change the info. :?

Back