• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I feel bad now!

albo

Warren Scout
I just called up our local rescue centre to get advice on vaccines,spay and help with vets bills and the woman on the fone gave me a VERY stern talking to!

She wasnt happy when I said id got our bun from a breeder (which i can now understand why) she went onto tell me how many buns are destroyed cos of the lack of people wanting them and how buns are taken to the local park and dumped and left for " dogs to rip apart"!

She told me that mini lops arent " natural" cos of the way they were bred to look cute and how the shape of their noses causes probs,as well as their ears and she sed something about way back wen the breed was being "manufactured" their skulls would of been damaged to create the floppy and place their ears are!

I feel so bad now......if id known about the rescue centre I may of gone there instead of getting bun from where we did, but i didnt so I cant change that, but all the other info she bombarded me with has made me feel POO....she has said I can get help for the spay she needs but made a BIG point of saying how they pick up the rest of the bill,which made me feel bad for asking them for help.

Im so pleased she is sending the voucher out to me and that i dont have to see her face to face.

She ended the call by saying " if you see the breeder u got the rabbit from, tell her I HATE HER" she also called them "scum of the earth".............I can understand her passion for rescuing buns and not being keen on breeders,but did she need to be SO scary???

Last edited by a moderator:
well she has her opinions but she didnt have to be so unproffessional about it all....that's awful. i would have thought that the better tact would have been friendly, then she may not scare people off which I would have thought is the last thing they want!

I'd be frightened too! I wasn't aware that there were so many bunnies wanting homes from rescue centres until I joined RU, I can understand her passion, but it's no reason to make perfectly caring, good owners feel guilty that their bunny is any lesser becuase they got it from a breeder, personally I would find that very upsetting as I dearly love my two even though I got them from a breeder. I don't know what she means about mini lops not being "natural" there are few rabbit breeds now that are considered so - e.g. the english lops were bred to make most other lop breeds.

x

I agree, I got mine from a breeder because I didnt want to get another one from a pet shop and I dont think we should be made to feel bad for that. I did try to get a rescue bunny but the people I phoned didnt have any house bunnies and I wasnt aware of RU back then....If i hadnt have got Zeb from the breeder he would probably still be there now and I wont feel bad for giving him a nice home!X

Why did you phone a rescue to ask for help with vets bills? I don't understand

There are places that will help yu with paying your vets bills, this place I called was 1 of 2 local ones so I called them, they are going to send me a voucher that I present to my vets.

I can fully understand her opinion but she will put people off going to rescues if she is going to talk to people in that manner about things that cannot be changed! (As in, damage is done)

There are places that will help yu with paying your vets bills, this place I called was 1 of 2 local ones so I called them, they are going to send me a voucher that I present to my vets.

Are they part of a larger organisation, like the RSPCA?

[admin edit - please don't identify places]

woah. I guess she was having a bad day then.

I can understand where she's coming from but there's no need to snap at you.

She told me that mini lops arent " natural" cos of the way they were bred to look cute and how the shape of their noses causes probs,as well as their ears and she sed something about way back wen the breed was being "manufactured" their skulls would of been damaged to create the floppy and place their ears are!

The only 'natural' rabbits you will see are wild ones running round in fields.

And she is talking absolute twaddle about their skulls being damaged. Since when has causing an injury so a rabbit's ears flop down been able to be passed on as a genetic trait? Do you see people with a limb missing due to an accident giving birth to kids afterwards who are missing the same limb? If she's going to be indignant, she could at least get her facts straight.

The only 'natural' rabbits you will see are wild ones running round in fields.

And she is talking absolute twaddle about their skulls being damaged. Since when has causing an injury so a rabbit's ears flop down been able to be passed on as a genetic trait? Do you see people with a limb missing due to an accident giving birth to kids afterwards who are missing the same limb? If she's going to be indignant, she could at least get her facts straight.

Err... actually no she isn't she just didn't phrase it very well.

In order for a rabbits ears to lop the skull has to deform and by deforming it the jaw sometimes becomes malaligned leading to dental disease. It was a mutation which should have died out by natural selection but us being the scientists we are :)roll:) decided to encourage it.

Thus the vast majority of lop eared rabbits suffer maloclussion.

like my wee bif...but she was a rescue bun.

hhmmm normally theyre pretty good there but i recall when i got bertie to save bifs life..theyd been to busy to get back to me..i was desperate for a rescue bun to save her life after shedbeen widowed.
anyhooo after id had bertie a week or two the crrc rang me and basically told me to give bertie back and then contact them to arrange bif to see buns they had..she wasnt too nice about it even tho i explained the situation..after a week of borrowing him i adopted him..he saved her life..and even the vets agreed there..she was so badly traumatised by losing her husbun 6 months fater the rescue rehomed her brother without her after a few days and she wasnt put up for adoption for another 2 months!!:censored: said fosterer is no longer fostering buns..shes the one who told me theyll be fine by the time oyu get them home theyll be ok to leave together they wont fight:shock::shock:

so i guess its a case of hoping for the best..mind you the crrc used to get mad with said fosterer as they footed most of the bills without thank yous most of the time..

i paid £45 for bif..she had bene spayed vaccinated agaisnt vhd and myxi whereas crrc said no need for vhd jab. not a problem in their area:shock:

but they do amazing work..i guess its just who you speak to..and it osunds like the same lady:shock:

btw...who knows if wild buns get genetic defects like maloccluded jaws...the only way they live theyd die..no one to syringe feed them etc and get teeth burred!!! it is poss they do get odd buns with it..their genes cant be that perfect!
but im cruel i have a french lop and bif whos a lionhead lop cross as the rescue told us...and i had willow huge frenchie girl. big buns have harts same isze as little buns os extra weight puts extra stress hence frenchies prone to heart attacks/failure. lops cant hear as well as their huge ears muffle sounds. then theres the skull deformity and jaw probs some lops suffer......but so do nethies etc....rexes with heart defects.....rew buns with eyesight probs...yup its all our fault:( but we can only love them and home them.....they gave you a voucher?

i got one from the blue cross for our cats..paid half zuzus spay.....she needed doing way earlier than funds allowed..not quite 4 months old..she was calling and her bro had to be neutered with her....unusual in cats!

i have had a rescued from them and found them ealy nice and helpfull was probley a bad day may be a breeder tried to get them to take there unwanted buns or somthing

Last edited:
I just called up our local rescue centre to get advice on vaccines,spay and help with vets bills and the woman on the fone gave me a VERY stern talking to!

She wasnt happy when I said id got our bun from a breeder (which i can now understand why) she went onto tell me how many buns are destroyed cos of the lack of people wanting them and how buns are taken to the local park and dumped and left for " dogs to rip apart"!

I feel so bad now......if id known about the rescue centre I may of gone there instead of getting bun from where we did, but i didnt so I cant change that, but all the other info she bombarded me with has made me feel POO....she has said I can get help for the spay she needs but made a BIG point of saying how they pick up the rest of the bill,which made me feel bad for asking them for help.

Im so pleased she is sending the voucher out to me and that i dont have to see her face to face.

She ended the call by saying " if you see the breeder u got the rabbit from, tell her I HATE HER" she also called them "scum of the earth".............I can understand her passion for rescuing buns and not being keen on breeders,but did she need to be SO scary???

I see why she was so angry, you went to a breeder to buy a rabbit and yet you can't afford her veterinary bills and turn to a rescue for help, where do you think rescues get their money from?, the majority of rescues are self funded and some of us smaller ones don't get donations, we have to work to fund our vets bills, I find it strange that you didn;t know about rescues when you wanted your rabbit but you knew about rescues when you wanted your vets bills paid?,

It would appear from your other posts that you weren't given any advice by this breeder either?, and it doesn't look like you have researched about your rabbit before getting one, there is some very good advice on this forum especially in the Rabbit Care Discussion section, I urge you to read through.

I am pleased that you now know about rescues and have found this forum which has a wealth of information and quite honestly I think the lady that you spoke to was in fact, very kind, she is sending you a voucher to help you!!

If you need any leaflets then please pm me and I will post you some

Lets please remember that the posting about this rescue is one individual's perception only. None of us were on the phone at the time and its detrimental to discuss a named rescue in a open forum based on one person's "relationship" with them. Perhaps the link should be removed.

Im glad you are receiving advice on your bunny albo, and that you have found this helpful forum.

Err... actually no she isn't she just didn't phrase it very well.

If that indeed is what she said it and wasn't misunderstood, it's a bit more that phrasing it badly. Breeding specifically for a malformed skull isn't any better than saying someone inflicted an injured an animal for cosmetic reasons, that's true. But spreading old wives tales instead of sticking to facts really irks me.

I see why she was so angry, you went to a breeder to buy a rabbit and yet you can't afford her veterinary bills and turn to a rescue for help

That I do agree with. It seems a bit unfair to expect a rescue to pay out for routine vet care when you should expect that and budget for it when you buy an animal. At least the rescue woman got some value from giving out the voucher - she got to vent her spleen over the phone. :lol:

If that indeed is what she said it and wasn't misunderstood, it's a bit more that phrasing it badly. Breeding specifically for a malformed skull isn't any better than saying someone inflicted an injured an animal for cosmetic reasons, that's true. But spreading old wives tales instead of sticking to facts really irks me.

What part is an old wives tale? :?

Theo your point is what I was trying to hint at, a little more subtley. :lol:

What part is an old wives tale? :?

Sorry, just read my post back - didn't make it clear what I meant. The part that you can injure an animal to make it look a certain way, then breed babies from it that will have that same property. Which is how I read the OP had understood what the woman said.

Back