• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

just a bit of advise on mourning buns

areia

Wise Old Thumper
one of my sons teachers chatted to me today about her mum whos lost one of her dutches on friday, and is worried about his bonded brother, she said he become withdrawn luckly the lady is at home most of the time so she manageing to be there for him, hes currently just huntching up hes clearly upset, he did get to say goodbye to his brother, the dead brother got really bad gut statis then just as he was getting better suffered pneumonia then passed away, her bun is still eating and drinking fine at the mo she worried he might pass away through loosing his brother as they were really close,

we had a chat and shes seemed to be doing the best she can, but did ask about what the best for him and if and how soon could she intruduce another bun, would this help in the healing or could it turn the wrong way

to my it went the wrong way with rosie who i lost recently she just wanted her mum back and not some other bun i tried her with

what do you do when a bun is passed on is there any other advise i could pass on to this lady

bless

I cant help I know you have to show the bun the dead bun so they understand as they aren't stupid. I would wait a while before another as its like if your family died would you replace them straight away kinda thing maybes wait a few weeks. Or if she knows someone with a bun perhaps pop over just to see what buns reaction would be if he seems 'hoppier' then suppose that would tell her that he would like a friend to share his toys/carrots with. A little girl though would be recommended so he will need nutered etc. You could also ask her to ask rescues if she could do that too just to see if it would make him happy or if he really isn't interested.
Sending my love to him x

i voulanteer for a rescue so i do have some possiables if she wishes try, he did get to say goodbye to his brother, and have said im happy to do the bonding, but i told her it all depends on her bun shes not far away from me but i did say the stress of travel and then sitting in someone else house may finish the poor mite

I recently lost a bun, and her husbun was lost for the first few days on his own. He is currently being bonded to a new ladybun.
Rabbits are social creatures, and really do prefer the company of their own sort.
They don't have the same feelings of 'a respectable mourning period' that us humans do, and generally feel lonely on their own, especially at this time of year, when it is chilly and they like to snuggle up together.
Sometimes bereaved bunnies get so depressed they refuse to eat, or get very sick.

Personally I would suggest finding a replacement ladybun for this bereaved bunny.
Most of the rescues on here will help to bond him if asked for help.

Sad bunny + rescued homeless bunny + sad bereaved owner = 3 happy bunfolk.
(We hope, if it all works out OK!)

Every bun is different but as this bun is so withdrawn, hunched etc., I feel he would more than likely benefit from a friend.

After the initial spats, Spike and Kiki have really helped Totti get over the loss of his beloved Brody bun and I'm totally in debt to Tracy for recognising that my boy was grieving so much )they were with Tracy as I'd gone to see Mum who was poorly).

:( berties still ill from not eating and drinking from depression from losing willow on oct 27th......hes got the littlies to rebond back to but im worried stress now will kill him but at least he can sleep alongside them thru the bars of the playpen in the lounge.

it depends on the bun..bif laid down to die on the fir when oscar had died onthe monday..bertie was borrowed to get ehr going again and has stayed ever since.
they are such sociable creatures...berties having lots of uman contact..being picked up put on setee and physically hugged as he loves it..and he sleeps there too or gets up when hes too hot...
we are lucky we have bif n bandit bunny and two cats who are still of the opinion that bertie is their daddy. or hed be even worse i reckon.

keep a close watch and think about getting him a friend..or two?

Every bun is different but as this bun is so withdrawn, hunched etc., I feel he would more than likely benefit from a friend.

After the initial spats, Spike and Kiki have really helped Totti get over the loss of his beloved Brody bun and I'm totally in debt to Tracy for recognising that my boy was grieving so much )they were with Tracy as I'd gone to see Mum who was poorly).

this is my thought after losing rosie im am a bit nervous, i have someone lined up tonight, i have warned the lady he may go the other way, but i know this is rare, just i was unlucky with rosie, but she feels he may pass on without someone, so its a risk she prepared to take, i have a very freindly laid back female lined up, so fingers crossed, the lady is very nice, she just asked for any bun who would be suitable, for her boy, as shes so worried about him, i think i will do the introduction a bit slower with this one, not my usual throw in and hope they get on,

thanks for the support guys fingers crossed for the next few days

Back