• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD vaccination query

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I got an email from an Australian rabbit group reminding people to get their rabbits vaccinated properly for VHD. Their recommended method was to give the initial vaccine as 2 injections 4 weeks apart, then every 12 months afterwards.

Anybody know why it should be different in Australia? And is it something we should be doing in the UK?

I've just had floppys done and we had both injections, 2 injections 2 weeks apart, but otherwise its the same ;) i've to go back in 12m ;)

That confused me until I remembered that the Myxi vaccine is illegal in Australia.

I have no idea why they give two VHD doses initially. :?

yep sorry it was the myxi & vhd :oops: i no its not changed here i wouldn't of thought there was enough to give 2 injections :shock: how come its illegal over there i never knew that :oops:

Last edited:
From the National Office of Animal Health (NOAH):

Cylap: Dosage and administration

1 ml by subcutaneous injection. Shake the vial well to obtain a uniform suspension of the vaccine before each administration.

Primary vaccination
Rabbits should be vaccinated at 2½-3 months of age using a single dose. If epizootic conditions make vaccination advisable before the age of 2½ months, the animal should be revaccinated one month after the first inoculation.

Booster vaccination
An annual booster vaccination is recommended.

This is because the Immune response in a very young Rabbit may not be sufficient to give maximum protection

:)

Did they mean in baby rabbits?
If a rabbit under 12 weeks old is vaccinated with cylap they have to have a second one 4 weeks later and then they get yearly boosters as normal.

Edit: Sorry posted at the same time:oops:

yep sorry it was the myxi & vhd :oops: i no its not changed here i wouldn't of thought there was enough to give 2 injections :shock: how come its illegal over there i never knew that :oops:

Because the authorities use Myxomatosis to control the wild rabbit popualtion and worry that by vaccinating domestic rabbits the wild rabbits will start to develop some kind of immunity.

Back