• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellet Help.

Jack-Bun

Warren Veteran
Hi,
I feed Drake and Josh on PAH Pellets, which are the same as Excel right?

But I noticed that a lot of you feed yours on different shaped longer ones? Are they better?
Or are the ones I feed now fine, as they love them?

Jack x

i've only ever tried mine on science selective which they love. but think most of them are pretty much the same, suppose it depends on what your buns are comfortable on, i've heard that alot of buns get yucky bums with excel, but think it all depends on the bunny.

Abi who very kindly bonded my buns (thanks Abi) moved mine onto SS and I must admit their poos do look more golden now :D It is higher in fibre 19% than the PAH one which I think is 14% Depending on how sensitive your buns are you might need to move them over gradually

Please note I have learnt all this in the last few months since being on here - thank you everybody!

If you're not having problems with the PAH, I'd stick with it. I've heard that people have problems with Excel too, but Alfie and Bubbles are fine on it. I tried switching to SS but they wouldn't touch it at all (even Alfie, who is the bunny dustbin :lol:). They only have a handful of pellets each anyhow and eat lots of hay, so I'm sticking with what they're on. :)

If you're not having problems with the PAH, I'd stick with it. I've heard that people have problems with Excel too, but Alfie and Bubbles are fine on it. I tried switching to SS but they wouldn't touch it at all (even Alfie, who is the bunny dustbin :lol:). They only have a handful of pellets each anyhow and eat lots of hay, so I'm sticking with what they're on. :)

Same as mine:lol:

I think I'll stick with them them:)
Jack x

I moved all of mine onto A&P after finding out not only was it higher in fiber than Excel and SS but also lower in protein and far, far cheaper. It isn't as tasty as SS though so it did take a few of mine a while to switch over but even my fussiest rabbits now eat it happily.

It costs about £7 for 20kg.

I thought PAH pellets were the same as Excel but I checked it out and they are slightly different.
PAH pellets have 14% fibre and Excel has 16% fibre.

Hmm interesting, my little two are on excel but my little boy seems to have excessive cecotrophs and this morning they were runny!! I thought it was the excel super forage but maybe its the excel pellets that dont agree. They currently only have hay and pellets! Im not sure where I can get the other brands from as I dont think P@H sell them do they?! I personally think there is some hidden drug in the pellets because they go crazy the minute they get a whiff of the them, it's a full on feeding frenzy like they havent eaten for days. I only give them 2oz a day between them.

Excel are known for causing excess ceacals and digestive complaints in some rabbits, it's believed it is to do with the higher protein content.

I've never noticed a problem with Drake and Josh's poo Jack, but there are foods out there that are better for them nutritionally such as the A+P that Sooz mentioned. Our Monty and Molly have it and their coats and poos are better than when they were on Excel. We supply it here if you want any.

Excel are known for causing excess ceacals and digestive complaints in some rabbits, it's believed it is to do with the higher protein content.

Mine are on excel, and I have to say, I've noticed excess ceacals (squashy poops) everywhere. Would I be best transferring them over to another mix you think?

I never thought about this, so this thread has been brilliant in raising the awareness for me! :)

Mine are on excel, and I have to say, I've noticed excess ceacals (squashy poops) everywhere. Would I be best transferring them over to another mix you think?

I never thought about this, so this thread has been brilliant in raising the awareness for me! :)

I recently changed to excel and with some buns have noticed excess ceacals.

yummy

Mine are both on p@h as winnie wouldn't eat the excell, and hes normally not fussy. So rather than buying 2 bags I swapped Angel over.
However both poos are lovely now but Angel did used to do alot of cecotrophes and I had to wipe her botty everyday. She cant eat hay due to mouth deformity but both have been on a diet and only get a desert spoonful of pellets each morning and night (medical reason not because fat) not piled up just level literally only 7-8 nuggets a day. Seems cruel but for well over 2 months her bot has been clean and no cecotrohes (which means shes eating them as you should not see these at all anyway)
Vets recommend not many nuggets lots of hay greens etc I would have to say although it seems shocking it has been brill so give that a go!!!

right that settles it Im gonna swap them over. I'll go for SS as I only have 2 buns. I went in a smaller pet shop and found one bag of SS it was a greeny colour and said aniseed and fenugreek flavour, is that the one you all mean or is there a bog standard one? I only have Internet on my phone at the mo so it's a bit tricky to see the images of the bags to tell if it's the same one!

You might be able to get A+P from Burnhill as I think they do the chicken feed etc so could probably order it in for you, but if not we can supply it if needs be.

Back