• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sick Rabbit

bettybop3

New Kit
My bunny betty has been losing hair in little areas her whole life. I have taken her to the veterinarian I work for several times and have tried oral baytril. These past few days she has been dragging her back legs and I'm really worried that something major is wrong.

My bunny betty has been losing hair in little areas her whole life. I have taken her to the veterinarian I work for several times and have tried oral baytril. These past few days she has been dragging her back legs and I'm really worried that something major is wrong.

Hello

The hair loss may be the result of mites. Mites often occur as a secondary symptom of other under-lying health problems. Now that Betty sounds to have some hind leg paresis I think you need to consider Encephalitozoon Cuniculi ( EC)
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/ecuniculi.htm

If the loss of use of her hind legs was of rapid onset then a spinal or hip injury is a possibility. Sometimes Rabbits can sustain a spontaneous fracture as a result of Osteoporosis (thin,weak,brittle bones). So until your Vet can rule out injury I would confine Betty to her cage to prevent potential further damage.

If your Vet suspects EC rather than injury then Betty will require a course of Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole). The course needs to be long, at least 28 days. Betty will also require an anti-inflammatory such as Metacam. It would be a good idea for your Vet to consider prescribing an anti GI ulcer med' too, eg Ranitidine AKA Zantac, as longterm use of Metacam can carry a risk of causing Gastric Ulceration.

Please let us know how Betty gets on

:)

Back