• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

please help rabbit doesnt like us

antlaura

New Kit
Hi we have got a house buuny she hates us picking her up and if we have her near us she will always claw at laura but not me. laura thinks the bunny hates her, can anyone help?

Just give her time. She needs to build trust. Most bunnies hate being picked up thats normal behaviour. :D

Hi there.

Your bunny not liking being picked up is nothing unusual. Most bunnies hate it as they think that we are preditors and are scared stiff. They want their feet to stay firmly on the ground. Try sitting on the floor and letting her come to you. After a while you can put her on your lap so that she's not too high from the floor and she should get used to it. Do everything gradually.

Also, if she isn't spayed then she'll possibly be hormonal hence the digging. It will depend on how developed she is. Digging can sometimes be related to need to urinate too - well it does in our household. As soon as we see bunny digging at the sofa, clothes etc we put them back in their litter tray/hutch etc and most times they go straight away.

Anyway, in time and with gentle handling she will become accustomed to it.

Agree with all of the above. Time and patience and eventually spaying for amongst other things hormone control. Sitting quietly just being with her and maybe offering her a treat when she comes to you

My angora was nervy at first but I've found she calms down instantly if I talk to her.:D She seems reassured by my gibber, for some reason. So now I talk away even as I approach her shed, so she knows it's me. I've only had her 6 weeks or so and she was very shy at first but now will eat from my hand and everything. She still hates being picked up. But once on my knee will sit for ages and let me groom her, quite happily. It's just the being picked up they hate as they think you're an eagle swooping down on them!:D

I agree with everyone, most rabbits don't like to be picked up, as they feel safe on the ground, imagine the only time they would be lifted of the ground in the wild is if a predator had them, so I think this instinct is still in them. Just give her time, she may come round, if not, I am sure she will appreciate some nose rubs at her level :D:D

Smudge hates being picked up, but loves nothing more than cuddles and nose rubs on the floor :D

Back