• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People with bunny sheds and foxes in their garden...

vanessa

Warren Scout
...do the foxes still seem to know that there are bunnies inside the sheds and try to get into them? (Not sheds with runs attached)

Hi there, I have mine in a shed. I cannot see how a fox would be able to get in, especially if it is padlocked. I also have a run attached, but i close the run off with a cat flap at night so the buns can't out and the foxes/cats can't get in.
Hope that helps!

I Think There Could Be A Risk Because There Very Good Diggers
And Its A Higher Risk With A Cat Flap Because They Could Get Through That Easily As Its Only Plastic But This Is Just My Opion(sorry think ive spelt it wrong

Mine are in an old fashion shed with two foot of concrete underneath It and the buns have to go up a step to get into It,so no chance of Charlie snide digging In.We also have cameras up now so If a sneaky fox were to come around in the night we would see It.

We have a bunny shed (currently empty :oops:) But id like to think foxes couldnt get in :? We put a concrete base down, then the wooden floor of the shed, then loft insulation boards :) Also, the shed is fully lined so i'd doubt they could get in. The most likely place would be the door surely? and if its locked well it shouldnt be a problem :) xXx

I think that weak points on a shed are generally the door - as a really determined fox could get hold of a bottom corner and prise enough open to get through or break it off - and the windows, which are often only held in by a small batten and the window material may be easy to split. I would suggest putting a second bolt low down on a shed door to prevent the bottom corner from being peeled up, and a secondary barrier such as mesh or bars, firmly nailed across the windows :)

My shed has an aviary attached which has double weld mesh on and imo is alot safer than an average rabbit run as it has very thick wood. I am lucky in the fact that the window is inside the run which eliminates one weak spot. Both the run and the shed are on slabs so no chance of digging in. The door has 3 locks top, middle and bottom and I also pull our brown bin (garden waste) in front of the door. My partner takes the mick out of me as I am so paranoid of foxes. I know a determined fox can go along way to get what they want but I hope ive done enough. I have also made it clear rabbits live in there in the hope of putting thiefs of as they would leave the door open for mr fox should they try and break in :cry:.

To answer your question though I have no idea if they know they are in there or not but They are clever animals so id be certain that yes they would know.

Mine is in a shed but at night I shut her in her hutch in the shed - just to be sure.

We kept chickens for years and the only time we lost an entire hen hut full to a fox was when my dad forgot one night to put the catch down on the little cat flap style door. The fox must have got in via the attached run, so runs can be weak points too. He lost 30 hens that night and I think only one was even eaten. He never made that mistake again! So yes, the doors are the weak point but don;t underestimate how small a hole a fox can fit through either, as this wasn't the main shed door, it was the little cat flat type thing at the back. And it wasn;t a ramshackle thing - it was a substantital, purpose built hen house not as flimsy as a modern shed.

That's why mine is in her hutch IN the shed, as soon as it's dark! And so far she still has a separate freestanding run, I can keep an eye on in the daytime - as that means I don't have the weak spot with a run door, or a cat flap style door. My shed is also on concrete, and the floor is covered in lino that is nailed down under battens the whole way round.

i have had my 2 boys in a wendy house so really it is a shed, i have foxes around also, but they have never got in, i have more trouble with the cats sitting on top of the roof & leaning over the top & scratching at the door & roof.
They have been in there for over a year now.
Plus it is on slabs.

If you're buying a new shed/wendy house, always go for a shiplap/tongue and groove one rather than the cheaper overlap boards. Once the sheds age a bit, it's far harder for a fox to push/chew it's way into shiplap panels. The overlap boards can become loose and easily be pulled off or pushed away.

As the chickens in the previous post prove, foxes are very determined. The fox near me has his set routine every night and despite not being able to get in due to a high fence, he always goes to to same spot to double check he can't get into the pen where there are geese, chickens and goats. The fox had probably been checking FluffyBun's dad's chicken coop every night for months and it paid off for him in the end.

After Frank's great escape the other night, I've started padlocking mine in despite the heavy bolts on the doors.

Back