• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox alert

Bavarian Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
I just watched a fox walk straight past my trio's hutch, towards our compost heap. I clapped my hands and it jumped over the fence. I went outside and looked over the fence, and it was just there, waiting to come back onto its usual path. It then decided that I was too scary and ran off. :lol: My bunnies were not too bothered.

But I thought I'd post this as another warning to everyone who thinks foxes are just active during the night, and who have their bunnies free range in the garden (or house, with doors open). Keep an eye on your bunnies. Just because you've never seen a fox, doesn't mean they are not around. One warning sign is when the birds suddenly get very loud and upset. That usually means a fox or a cat are in the area.

thankyou Gisela, a good warning. I always try to keep mine as secure as possible as there is a beck behind us and fields xxx

Thanks for the warning when I had Sooty he was shut in a double decker hutch inside a playhouse at night to be on the safe side. He was never allowed freerange in the garden only in his secure attached run. Luckily I have never seen one but never say never.

We used to have foxes in the garden every night.There must have been a massive cull in our town as we haven't had one in the garden for about two years now.

glad your bunnies werent bothered hun :D:D:D

we live in a sealed house anyway, i cant risk forgetting ive left a window open to see stella making a break for freedom

my foxes are stupid they like to wake me up with the calling cooooooooooeeeeeee im here 3 gardens down you cant get me

wanna bet
:evil:

frosty and linus are the only two outside now and she wakes me up with her very very loud thumping

I've never seen a fox around here ever.
There are loads of rabbits in the field opposite but still have never seen one!
Plenty of deer though.
We live in the country side so is there less of a risk rather than an urban fox how doesn't have wild animals to eat?

Plenty of deer though.
We live in the country side so is there less of a risk rather than an urban fox how doesn't have wild animals to eat?

I think statistics show the risk is lower because urban foxes have more contact with humans than those that can hunt in the depths of the woods and fields away from us. Urban foxes seem to showing less fear of humans and more desire for food. Also as you say they have a natural food source in the country.

I think statistics show the risk is lower because urban foxes have more contact with humans than those that can hunt in the depths of the woods and fields away from us. Urban foxes seem to showing less fear of humans and more desire for food. Also as you say they have a natural food source in the country.
That's what i thought
We used to live in town centre and we saw a few foxes then, (i can't remember) but we haven't seen any here :?

It depends on how much other food they find in the city. If people have wheelie bins, then they won't be able to rip open the rubbish bags.

Several years ago, I lost two free range garden bunnies to a fox. We had lived in the same road for 7 years and had never seen a fox. I now know that the problem with the "I've never seen a fox in 'x' years so there can't be any round here" argument fails, because the first time you discover you have a fox is the last time you see your bunnies :cry:

Plenty of deer though.

I still wouldn't take any chances as even a country fox will go for an easy meal and a pet rabbit in a garden is a lot easier to catch than a wild rabbit out in a field. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. Country foxes are more wary than town foxes and are less willing to allow themselves to be seen.

Back