• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Acute Bloat-Very Sick Lizzie- Kale to Blame?-U/D Recovered :-)

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Very old thread

I have been up all night with Lizzie who became very unwell yesterday evening. She has bloat which came on within an hour. She has had treatment and is still with us. She may require 'tubing' later today :cry:

The only thing that I think might have caused this is some Curly Kale. She seldom has it but did yesterday morning.
Has anyone else had problems feeding Kale to their Buns?

:cry:

Last edited:
I have just googled your question and the answer was yes kale can cause bloat.I have offered It to my buns in the past but they haven't eaten it,fussy lot.I really hope Lizzie feels better soon.Sending tummy healing vibes.

Lots of vibes for Lizzie. I guess kale could cause the problem if she hasn't had it before, I've fed it to guinea pigs without problem but the rabbits don't seem to eat it.

I have just googled your question and the answer was yes kale can cause bloat.I have offered It to my buns in the past but they haven't eaten it,fussy lot.I really hope Lizzie feels better soon.Sending tummy healing vibes.

Oh god I didn't know that :cry:

I wont be feeding it to any of my Buns again

Yes Jane two of my girlie buns can't have Kale, they both refuse to eat within a few hours after eating it and lie down not wanting to move.

Jane, if you remember TJ was hospitalized for a few days after his first eating of kale. I avoid kale now. Hope she improves.

The one I purchased was the supermarket pre washed ones and I hadnt considered the gas and chlorine used to prepare it. His reaction has made me knock it off my list of veg, however it is prepared.

:shock: I have just given my two a handful between them this morning. Not had problems with it before but I do limit how much I give them due to it being high in calcium.

I'm so sorry taht Lizzie is sick Jane:cry: I truly hope she can pull through and will be sending loads of vibes:love:

I don't feed any kale or brocolli to the Hairy Mob as I have seen the reactions they get so I avoid it like the plague now:shock: Such a lot of buns can actually tolerate it really well but I won't ever take the chance - I'm too scared:oops:

Sending vibes for Lizzy and yourself. It's really scary how easily something so 'innocent' can have such a dramatic effect.

Touch wood, mine tolerate kale as well as they do spring greens but I'm never feeding any broccoli again after Rudy's recent bloat episode :(

Thanks everyone. Lizzie is showing signs of feeling better now ......phew!! :)

I thought she was OK with Kale and that it was Brocolli and Parsley that upset her. Obviously not.
I too will be avoiding feeding Kale again.

Again, I'm one whose rabbit's adore kale and it has never caused any problems for me. That said none of my current 6 have sensitive GI tracts and have never had bloat before.

I think it's one of those things just like some rabbits cannot hack brocolli or cabbage.

Kale gives Noel bloat so I have learnt too. :cry:
It is also high in calcium.

Hope Lizzie is better soon Jane xx

I am sometimes struggling to find something which is low in calcium and which doesn't give bloat. And am not sure how much I should feed them. I know people who feed their bunnies a big amout of veggies every day, and others just give them very little. What is the general opinion on celery?

If mine have celery they get a third of a stick each about three times a week, they all enjoy it and again I have never had an adverse reaction to it in any rabbit, even some more sensitive ones that I have had previously.

Back