• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bit of a strange one but can humans catch anything off rabbits

areia

Wise Old Thumper
after looking at a thread just of a worried user asking if buns can catch chicken pox,

i was wondering is there anything we can catch off buns

im assuming rabbies if a buns bites you and has it,

but as buns are veggies i was assuming theres not a lot we can catch unlike from cats and dogs

What, you mean apart from bunnyitis (the uncontrollable urge to just add one more... no two as one would be lonely... see what I mean. :lol:

oh forgotton that one since joining a bunny forum i would say the just one more is addictive, we need a RA rabbits annon:lol:

my name is,,,,,,

There are diseases called zoonoses, where diseases pass from animal to human. (I'm doing a course in animal management. :lol:)

Apparantly:

Acariasis
Brucella suis biotype 2
Cheyletiella infestations
dermatophytosis
filariasis
francisella tularensis
pasteurellosis
plague
q fever
rabies
salmonellosis
ticks
trichophyton mentagrophytes
trichostrongylidosis
tularemia

Last edited:
I developed conjunctivitis this week that was most likely linked to a rabbit's infected mouth. :oops:

Pretty remote chance of anything really, most are more theoretical than likely. For example ringworm can pass between bunny and person but as your out interacting with hundreds of people and your bunny doesn't, your more likely to infect your bun than the other way around :lol:

I think most of those are a theoretical rather than a 'real' risk - for example technically e.c. could be passed across, but in reality it would only happen to a severely immunocompromised individual, such as someone undergoing chemotherapy, someone with HIV etc.

the most obvious one

is Ringworm, got nowt to do with worms its a fungal infection which can be passed on either way. You get this from any animals its like dry skin in circular patterns on body. Usually groomers get it in hands you need cream as will bun and its contagious (not sure if thats right word) so you have to keep covered and use own towels etc.

im assuming simple good hygiene is best i was just curious of what is possiable,

i mean my son helps me out from time to time, :roll: but being a typical boy, he picks up poops and just goes back in and i have to remind him to wash his hands,

ive got my mum naggin me, you been to the doctors for your tetnus jab yet, ummmmmmmmmm noooooooooo, looking at the list doesnt say tetnus anyway :lol:

and i am due one really my last jab was in 89, but i know doctors dont really do routine tetnus jabs anymore,

I did have to have my Tetanus checked after a particularly nasty bite, but it was up to date.

The eye infection was probably poor hygiene, I think touched my eye sometime between leaving the vets and getting home again when I washed my hands. :oops::oops:

I suppose a bigger concern is, disease that is catch by human, then passed along to his/her home rabbit. Such as the case in the Care Section today. That's something we should all watch for.

i think we are all guilty of these i dont believe you can be 100% clean allllllllllll of the time, granted im more vigulant when i get a foster bun in, two weeks incubation extra cleaning,changeing of clothes etc to make sure they havent got anything to pass onto mine onces thats done im a tiny bit more relaxed

There are diseases called zoonoses, where diseases pass from animal to human. (I'm doing a course in animal management. :lol:)

Apparantly:

Acariasis
Brucella suis biotype 2
Cheyletiella infestations
dermatophytosis
filariasis
francisella tularensis
pasteurellosis
plague
q fever
rabies
salmonellosis
ticks
trichophyton mentagrophytes
trichostrongylidosis
tularemia

* Zoonotic

* Zoonotic
technically the diseases are zoonoses, the adjective is zoonotic :)

E.cuniculi is also zoonotic, but has not been seen in otherwise healthy people, typically only in patients with advanced AIDS or affected by other causes of severe immunosuppression
Ringworm is most commonly transferred, and some mites will feed on humans if no alternative is available. Most other zoonoses are rarely transferred from rabbits

Back