• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescued Doe

Bunnie_Mummy

Young Bun
Hi all,

After much searching we have found a spayed Doe from RSPCA.
She is called Poppy, and is gorgeous!

However, I need some advise.

We have a large french lop, named Ozzy.

I have them currently is sperate cages, but next to each other.
Whenever they are out, Ozzy, who is neutered, likes to hump her.
Is this normal? - How long will it last for as, we have had her since Thursday, and the humping is contuing.
Last night, Oz jumped his cage, into his, and must of spent all night in there. As when I came down in the morning, there was white fur everwhere. Poppy was un hurt, and eating and cleaning etc. But Im guessing this is when he was trying to pin her down to hump.

Poor thing.
She is happy with him, and every now and then will turn and bat him one when she has had enough, and stamp her foot :)

Is this type of behavouir normal?? How long does it normally last for?
They are not fighting at all, which is a good sign. But im still abit concerned?

Also any tips for Poppy picking up her litter tray and throwing it around?

Is she spayed?

If you are trying to bond you really need to put them together in a confined area, such as a bathroom or a run in a neutral area to both.

They need to be left together (unless of course all hell breaks loose) for at least 48hours.

:)

The humping is normal and will generally stop eventually.

awwww sounds like love :love::love::love:

alvin still humps pearl loads and they have been together almost a year now :shock:

the only way ive found to stop the litter tray getting thrown upside down is to use a bigger litter tray, they have an underbed storage box now :D

the small litter tray in the living room is watched so pearl dont get chance to play up :lol::lol:

I have taken oz out of his normal area and have put him in a cage in the kitchen, with her cage next to him. They can both see each other, as they are right next door to each other. In puppy pens.

Ok, i think ill move them into one cage, and see how we get on.

There are eating out of the same food bowl together.

Just worried, about leaving them all night together.

Is she spayed?

If you are trying to bond you really need to put them together in a confined area, such as a bathroom or a run in a neutral area to both.

They need to be left together (unless of course all hell breaks loose) for at least 48hours.

The humping is normal and will generally stop eventually.

I have taken oz out of his normal area and have put him in a cage in the kitchen, with her cage next to him. They can both see each other, as they are right next door to each other. In puppy pens.

Ok, i think ill move them into one cage, and see how we get on.

There are eating out of the same food bowl together.

Just worried, about leaving them all night together.

Put them into a new area to them both, new room everything.
They sound okay, but do this and dont separate unless they fight.

I agree with the others, sounds as if it's all pretty normal. If you introduce them and then separate them again, they pretty much start from scratch every time you introduce them which is why you're seeing the humping so much, it will tail off eventually. If they look as if they're going to start a fight, give a quick shout 'oi' or something, if it's not serious this can be enough to distract them and make them stop.

I'd also put them in one cage (give it a good clean and disinfect first, move everything around ideally including its position, so it is neutral and neither of them think it is their 'territory'.

If you're worried about leaving them overnight, could you sleep in the same room as them? I have previously slept on the kitchen floor for a few nights with bonding bunnies, so that I would be near enough to wake up and separate if there were any major scuffles. Now I'm lucky enough to have a spare room so last time I did a bonding I slept in a normal bed with a dog crate in the room.

Back