• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Artie U/D may have dental problems ... eating okay for now

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Hi Artie is a 4 1/4 year old lop who has never previously had any dental trouble. He's always been a good hay eater though in the last few weeks I've realised his hay consumption has gone down a lot.

He ate some SS pellets this morning and a small piece of spring greens at about 12.00 noon or after, which he took enthusiastically. He's been very bouncy and enthusiastic until today when I got home from work and he's not really responding to anything, he's not tooth grinding but definitely not happy, has turned down his favourite foods.

He's had a bit of a problem with a sticky bottom recently which I'm wondering if it could be because he's not eating as much hay and wondering if that's possibly a result of a dental problem?

Any suggestions? I've got a vet appointment at 5.50 but I'm convinced it's dental (his poos when not soft are fairly small, some larger ones) he's not drinking more than usual, wondering if also it could be a stomach problem not dental, want to cover all the options possible to steer the vet (if you get my drift :roll:)

I know he will need painkiller, poss gut stimulant if no blockage - what else should I be aware of?

Many thanks!!

Last edited:
sorry, cant offer any advice, but just wanted to wish you both well at the vets....hope the wee guy gets better :)

based on what you say, I'll leaning toward dental as well. If all the diet and drinking is normal, and the only thing missing is the intake of hay, then it's usually the teeth.

This is exactly what happens to my bun Bernie, in the end, we do an "Ultra Short" GA because we came up w/ the idea that we put Bernie in a "Deep Sedation", the process normally use to take X-ray and prevent the bun to move. So they do that and work on the teeth half way, and then give him that Ultra Short GA

Thanks. I'm getting more convinced it is a dental problem. He's refusing the whole range of his favourites but thankfully has eaten some kale on his own.

I have to take him back tomorrow morning so hopefully they'll arrange a dental then if they agree, I can't see this pointing to anything else at the moment.

how did it go at the vets? sounds dental related i hope its sorted for you both.

She couldn't really find anything, gut sounds were a little quiet but that's all. She gave him a gut stimulant and painkiler and he's done really well over night - eaten lots of greens and a few SS pellets, bread, some finely chopped carrot - but I really don't think he's eating hay.

Sorry to hear about Artie, you may find that he goes back to eating hay last of all, sometimes thy go off foods when they have been poorly. Inky always goes back to pellets last.

Lots of hay munching vibes

FC x

I had one of mine refuse food and was treated for stasis a couple of times before they checked his back teeth. He had a dental a couple of months ago and has been fine since. Good luck. Pam

Thanks. I am pretty convinced it's dental, but I'm doing the wait and see if his eating slows down again that the vet advised. He's just not interested in hay though and has always been a good hay eater.

I've a very strong view he'll be having a dental during the week, it's very much the same pattern as when Rudy needed a dental, there was nothing much to see.... we got to the stage of needing to syringe feed Rudy because he stopped eating quite suddenly. He's ticking along okay but if he doesn't eat any hard food over the next couple of days he will be going back, hopefully for a dental.

our vet was able to put the gag in berties mouth to hold his cheeks out of the way to be able to see his back teeth clearly......the usual way with the otoscope on its own doesnt really let them have a good look at small molar spurs etc. one vet does dentals on my wickle girlie bif just using the mouth gag and cuddles and hes able to burr her spurs....second time he did them he realised her lowr jaw goes back wayyyyyy to far hence the spurs despite munching timmy hay oodles!!

i hope hell be ok......

our vet was able to put the gag in berties mouth to hold his cheeks out of the way to be able to see his back teeth clearly......the usual way with the otoscope on its own doesnt really let them have a good look at small molar spurs etc. one vet does dentals on my wickle girlie bif just using the mouth gag and cuddles and hes able to burr her spurs....second time he did them he realised her lowr jaw goes back wayyyyyy to far hence the spurs despite munching timmy hay oodles!!

i hope hell be ok......

Urm, yes, thanks that's very interesting. I'm still convinced he has pain from the spur, he's well enough in himself but I don't want to play guessing games too long if the poor little guy is in discomfort. I think I'll get a more experienced vet to give a second opinion though.

Artie is eating hay really well now. He's about 90% back to normal (the 'output' being the only thing that isn't quite there)

He eating loads including loads of hard food.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I shall be keeping an eye on the possiblity that that spur will bother him in the future but otherwise he's very bouncy and cheeky as ever.

Thanks everyone for your advice and good wishes

Art sends you all a nose rub

PICT2914-1.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, that is really good news. At least you know what to look out for but hopefully he will be OK now he is back eating his hay.

Back