• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding a buck with 2 bonded girlies?

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
this is a question on behalf of a friend. She has 2 8month old spayed girls. One is quite independant and dominant the other is naturally submissive and rather timid. My friend thinks the timid one is lonely so she wondered if it would be possible to introduce a buck?! How is this likely to work in bunny world? Would the dominant female claim him or is he likely to pair up with the submissive one... I'm assuming the dominant female would maintain her position knowing her character! Anyone have any ideas or experienced this?

Erm...i dont know.
Bonding into a pair you do risk the break up of the exisiting pair..
Is the buck neutered?

I have 2boys and 1girl together and thats works well :)

I have always find bonding a boy to an existing pair of girls works well as long as the male isn't to dominant :D

I have always find bonding a boy to an existing pair of girls works well as long as the male isn't to dominant :D

Yes, perhaps try with a Rescue male. If the Rescue fails to bond a neutered male, then at least your friend won't end up with a pair & a single.

Depends on the buns I suppose it worked with mine :D The rescue were fab though I wouldnt have been brave enough to do it on my own:D

She assumed he would have to be quite placid and therefore assumed the best place to go would be a rescue as you tend to know the natures of your buns! The main hope would be that he would make a better companion for Twinkle the timid one, she needs some bunny love as Matilda doesn't snuggle up with her and only makes a token gesture at grooming although she expects Twinkle to groom her :roll: They live in an adapted shed and have the run of the garden so there's enough room for 3.

I've done it twice .. firstly bonding boy Thumper to bonded pair Lily and Dilly and then, more recently, bonding Dutchie boy to pair Chloe and Bella (wee webbkath, above) :) Both times the boy has ended up in charge! But, did not have any major problems with either bonding :)

ok thanks for your help and suggestions everyone, Im seeing my friend later so I will pass on all your comments :thumb:

Back