• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

weigth!

cookie&kasie

New Kit
i've got a bunny who is slightly underweight and i would like any one to suggest anything which would help me up her weight. she about 12 weeks old and she doesnt need alot of weight put on but i would like to put some more on her. whats can i use?:?

To get her weight up a little you could try giving her 1 oaty hobnob biscuit daily :) They oat based so will help her put a little weight on. Failing that, you could try porridge oats soaked in warm water :) xXx

alfalfa is a hay higher in protien that others so more fattening, also fruit more fattening than veg, oatibix minis my bunny loves and think made him put on weight, unfortunaely he went over weight from too many!! We are trying to reduce his weight at mo

Hiya,

Before trying to put on too much weight on her, remember they should still be able to clean their bum etc and this could be hard to do if they are overweight and can't reach.

She's still very young and I wouldn't make any drastic changes to her diet. The only thing I would do is carry on feeding her a handful of pellets each day, and make sure she has plently of hay, you could also try some other types of hay e.g. timothy and only small amounts of alfalfa, you could intorduce small peices of veg, but they'd have to be around the size of a 10p peice.

Last edited:
i've got a bunny who is slightly underweight and i would like any one to suggest anything which would help me up her weight. she about 12 weeks old and she doesnt need alot of weight put on but i would like to put some more on her. whats can i use?:?

what breed is she and how much does she currently weigh? :) if she doesnt have fruit yet i wouldnt introduce :? if you do, do it very slowly!

i know this isn't appropiated but ted was underweight a while ago and i give her some mix with her pellets. only did it for a week but it really helped her, but it's up to yourself as others said you don't want to give her a messy bum, you could just up her pelletswhy is she underwight? has she been checked by the vets? i got ted checked but she was underweight after an op. is she eating plenty of hay too?

Back