• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please Help

CAYLA :O)

New Kit
I am posting on here for advise as it is late and my vet is closed. I have two bunnies, a girl and a boy. Last week my girl stopped eating so I took her to the vet, he said she has a bad tummy and gave her injections and she is now better :eek:)

Now my boy is ill but he has had a cold also and I am hoping I have not neglected him as I do not know if a cold is a really bad thing in a rabbit? My boy gets really distressed being handled (but loves cuddles) so taking him to the vet would make him upset (but I obvoisuly would if needed) Can anyone please advise me about colds and can bunnies catch each others illess? I love them both so much and just want to help them?

Thank you for your time!!

First time bunnie owner :eek:) xx

Is your boy bunny eating, weeing and pooing ok?

Cold like symptoms in bunnies can mean a number of things, from Pasturella to teeth problems or a nasal/respiratory infection.

What kind of symptoms does he have?

Thank you for replying - he seems to have a bit of sloppy poo, not eaten tonight but ate this morning and last night. He is doing what my girl bunny did last week, quiet, sleeping a lot and not much movement - that is why I took her to the vet and he said when they are ill, they do that. He is only 1 years old, when can teeth problems happen please? xx

Hmm, can you try and tempt him with his fav treats perhaps? When you say sloppy poos do you mean they look like normal but you can squash them or are they actually runny? (sorry for all the questions)

Can you feel his tummy or perhaps listen to it? (I appreciate this will be a bit difficult if he dislikes being handled) If it is a blockage it could feel a bit hard. Or listen out for a slushy nose.

I'd suggest putting him somewhere he can keep warm but can get away from the heat if he wants. Do you have an emergency vet you can call? When Flopsie was a bit off a couple of weeks ago I found speaking to the vet was a bit reassuring and they'd be able to say if you should pop bunny to the vet or not :)

Hope you can get him better :)

teeth problems can start any time & the sort of symptoms you are describing need to be checked out by a vet ASAP. Rabbits do not get "colds" like you and me that are easy to shake off. If it is pasturella it will need antibiotics to clear it up and he may never be free of it. Teeth can be equially hard to sort out. I'd try and get him to eat and drink something tonight. If he is really off his food it might be worth finding an emergency vet in your area and have a chat with them. It will cost quite a bit more money than a normal vet appointment but buns can go downhill very quickly if they are not eating. If you do manage to get him to eat and you can see him pooing and weeing then take him to the vets in the morning.

In the meantime you'll need to keep him warm

I do not mind the questions, I really appreciate your help :eek:)

I have tried with treats, he is not bothered.

His poo is sloppy to look at, like big clumps rather than little pebbles - but not as runny as water.

I do not have an emergency vet but I will keep my eye on him and find one if I have too - he is grooming which my girl didnt when she was ill :)

His tummy is not making a noise but he wont let me touch him - I think he may have to go to the vet if he is like this tomorrow. I am so greatful for your help xx

What area are you in?

Someone may be able to suggest an emergency vet service that could help you.

Aww really hope bunny will be ok :? Guess your off to St. Georges :) Let us know how you get on xXx

Back