• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox proofness of a ryedale hutch

lisa82

Mama Doe
I'm doing some advanced planning for spring and as the buns are being really quite naughty, and noisy at night, I would like them to all go back outside but I'm scared of the foxes. Due to the shape/size of the garden a proper shed wouldn't be ideal and I really want them up by the house this time, so it would be a hutch, but a big one :D

I'm looking at
http://www.rehutches.com/triplehutch07.htm?tp=CONTINUE+SHOPPING

and planning pigs in the top, and the buns in the bottom 2 levels. I would get the night covers.

As these seem to be such good quality, and this is a 9mm plywood one, would this be a reasonable option considering foxes may be back, I think I'll stick those pricky strip things on top of the fences to deter the foxes :)

i Have a double decker 6ft ryedale hutch with attached run and think it is fab. OH has put extra catches on side on run and extra one on top hutch door. You can get them to put bolts on for a bit extra which I wish I had done and the shutters.

I don't think you could ever 100% say that any hutch is totally foxproof, but I think Ryedale is one of the better ones and I would be much more confident in it than many others on the market. Agree with the bolts - their ones are really sturdy and I'd be surprised if you could buy them cheaper and fit them yourself! I would definitely buy from Ryedale again.

I would say though that many Ryedale's aren't 2ft high as standard, so you may need to check the height and ask for them to be made higher (at least the bottom two anyway, the top one might be an ok height for a piggy). If you do ask for them to be 2ft high and the 2 bottom floors are going to be joined, I would ask them to make the ladder extra length as they seem to use the same size ladder and I think it's too steep.

They are really good at making any adaptations you want at very reasonable cost though :)

so, would you feel fairly confident in an area where you know have been foxes. if you were me would you put your buns in it? Is the mesh really sturdy? it will be under my bedroom window :)

I love my ryedale hutch so much :love: Im such a looser :oops:

My happyhutch looks so easy to break compared to it :D There are no foxes where I live so sorry I cant help with that but its very strong and heavy x

Thanks for the replies, any more opinions? would you guys feel confident with your buns in one of these? I wish we didn't have foxes :(

i Have a double decker 6ft ryedale hutch with attached run and think it is fab. OH has put extra catches on side on run and extra one on top hutch door. You can get them to put bolts on for a bit extra which I wish I had done and the shutters.

are you aware of foxes being in your area?

There are foxes in my area, I've heard them barking at night although I've never actually seen one. Out of all the hutches I've personally seen on the market I would trust the Ryedale the most - my nethies are in one and to be honest I think it's probably more secure than the playhouse that my other pair live in.

There are foxes in my area, I've heard them barking at night although I've never actually seen one. Out of all the hutches I've personally seen on the market I would trust the Ryedale the most - my nethies are in one and to be honest I think it's probably more secure than the playhouse that my other pair live in.

Sorry for the grilling but why do you think it would be more secure than your playhouse? mine had their playhouse in the summer but that had to go at the bottom of my (fairly small) garden and I was a bit concerned with the windows and cat flap, although I made them as secure as I could. That is why i'm thinking giving them the 2 floors of the "enclosed" hutch rather than attached run. I have a separate run for supervised play.

I guess it's to do with the way it's constructed - the playhouse roof, for example, is secured by nails/screws from the top into some beams, so I just feel that in the mouth of a really determined fox, it would be easier for a fox to pull the roof up and off from the playhouse than from the hutch. My playhouse windows are covered by the run, but if they weren't, I'd be concerned that it wouldn't be too hard for a fox to force a window and get in. Ultimately, playhouses aren't designed and constructed with foxproofness in mind - at least these hutches will have had it considered!

I guess it's to do with the way it's constructed - the playhouse roof, for example, is secured by nails/screws from the top into some beams, so I just feel that in the mouth of a really determined fox, it would be easier for a fox to pull the roof up and off from the playhouse than from the hutch. My playhouse windows are covered by the run, but if they weren't, I'd be concerned that it wouldn't be too hard for a fox to force a window and get in. Ultimately, playhouses aren't designed and constructed with foxproofness in mind - at least these hutches will have had it considered!

sorry for the interrogation, this is exactly the sort of reasoning I need :)
SO, do you feel the mesh on the ryedale is strong enough? and have you got the shutters for it :D

I'd agree with Alison that my ryedale is probably more secure than my old playhouse was. My ryedale is very thick log lap whereas the playhouse was just tongue and groove.

Definitely get the bolts fitted though.

I'd agree with Alison that my ryedale is probably more secure than my old playhouse was. My ryedale is very thick log lap whereas the playhouse was just tongue and groove.

Definitely get the bolts fitted though.

Thank you too, your reassurance is really helpful. Don't worry I'll definately get bolts, I would put electric fencing around it if I could :D

Just another quick question, what temperature/month do we need before furries can go outside after being indoors in an unheated room?

Back