• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can my rabbits go anywhere to bond?UD It's not to be, new bun advice???

Bunny_mad

Alpha Buck
Is there any one or a charity or similar that can help bond my buns! I have a neutured nethie and dutch and I want to bond them. I have attempted this but I get very nervous and end up giving up at the smallest sign of an altercation. I want them to get on as I feel that Bumble is lonely and we got Smudge with the view to bonding. Is there anywhere they can go to help this procees. I am of course not feeling flush so it needs to be inexpensive. Please help my bunnies

EDIT: I have decided that it is too much of a risk to try andbond Bumble and smudge. I have had lovely ppl offer to help but in my heart of hearts I don't feel it fair on smudge. Bumble is a typical Dutch and is pretty stroppy. I have now decided to find a new wife. I have 4 rescue/foster buns here and they are being sexed tomoro. I am considering that he be paired up with a female we have (if we have one). Will this be safe and how old should she be and should we spay first. They are now about 7 weeks old. I am aware it is too early but what age is best. A lady from a rescue said it can be easier to bond a neutured male and un-neutured female, is this true.

If one of these gorgeous 4 are not females I will be looking for a well tempered mini lop or Nethie to be a wifey.

BTW the 4 buns are 3 lion heads and 1 cross breed.

Any advice please???

Last edited:
Hi :wave: I have just had my buns returned after being bonded at Honeybunny rescue in Leicester. Their number is on here. I had a similar nervous attitude towards bonding and kept seperating them wich seemed to make them confused and more agressive when put back together. I sent them to Honeybunny where I adopted Velvet from specifically to be bonded with my Lop Captain.

It has bee a very intense and long bonding as Captain was very difficult and kept bizzarely humping her when Velvet had accepted and submitted to him already.

They are back at my flat now and there is still a bit of tweeking and settling to be done with their behaviour, but definately much better than when I tried and they were an very difficult bond and most go aslot more smoothly than theirs. Jill at honeybunnys was very persistant with them and I have had the faith now to leave them alone together whilst I am at work.

I Hope that they will be ok when I get back. Although there was some attempted humping and chasing in the night they were sharing a breakfast of corriander and brussels when i left them this morning and lying together so am quite confident, there is no aggression between the two and she grooms him every now and then.

Last edited:
Hi :wave: I have just had my buns returned after being bonded at Honeybunny rescue in Leicester. Their number is on here. I had a similar nervous attitude towards bonding and kept seperating them wich seemed to make them confused and more agressive when put back together. I sent them to Honeybunny where I adopted Velvet from specifically to be bonded with my Lop Captain.

It has bee a very intense and long bonding as Captain was very difficult and kept bizzarely humping her when Velvet had accepted and submitted to him already.

They are back at my flat now and there is still a bit of tweeking and settling to be done with their behaviour, but definately much better than when I tried and they were an very difficult bond and most go aslot more smoothly than theirs. Jill at honeybunnys was very persistant with them and I have had the faith now to leave them alone together whilst I am at work.

I Hope that they will be ok when I get back. Although there was some attempted humping and chasing in the night they were sharing a breakfast of corriander and brussels when i left them this morning and lying together so am quite confident, there is no aggression between the two and she grooms him every now and then.

Thats great thanks, I was looking for somewhere a little closer to home but I can bear it in mind! I just don't want her to be lonely. The living arrangments have changed as she is the perfect house bunny so we are going to act on this and then when they are bonded they can both have free run whilst we are there! :) Thats my plan anyway!

Hi :wave: Your nearest rehoming centres are

NANNA's (Northamptonshire Animals Needing Nurturing &
145 Addington Road, Irthlingborough
Tel: 01933 650372 / Email /

Rabbit Rescue
Ashton, Northamptonshire, NN7 2JR
Tel: 01604 863175 / Website

I don't know If they do bondings for free like at Honeybunny but you can always ask.

My two had behaved like perfect angels :love: when i got home last night from work I was worried with it being their first day together unsupervised. I have always let captain have free run of the place whether i am in or out so important to be ablte to trust velvet in this way too. There was no evidence of any fighting or damage to anything so i now fully trust them, They were nice and quiet through the night too so i got a nice night sleep, :lol:

Hi :wave: Your nearest rehoming centres are

NANNA's (Northamptonshire Animals Needing Nurturing &
145 Addington Road, Irthlingborough
Tel: 01933 650372 / Email /

Rabbit Rescue
Ashton, Northamptonshire, NN7 2JR
Tel: 01604 863175 / Website

I don't know If they do bondings for free like at Honeybunny but you can always ask.

My two had behaved like perfect angels :love: when i got home last night from work I was worried with it being their first day together unsupervised. I have always let captain have free run of the place whether i am in or out so important to be ablte to trust velvet in this way too. There was no evidence of any fighting or damage to anything so i now fully trust them, They were nice and quiet through the night too so i got a nice night sleep, :lol:

good louck with finding a bonder to make your little fur balls fall in love :love:

Thank you for that! It really is apprecaited!!

I'm so glad to hear that all is peaceful at your house!! xx:)

Does anyone know what I can use to neutralise and area and how I do it please? I have heard you can use white vinegar but I am not sure how and will my hose not smell liek a chip shop? :lol:

half and half water and white vinegar, dont worry the smell isnt as bad and doesnt linger for really long, i use it all the time to clean trays and scrub up stains on the floor, i even use it it clean my bathroom taps etc,

half and half water and white vinegar, dont worry the smell isnt as bad and doesnt linger for really long, i use it all the time to clean trays and scrub up stains on the floor, i even use it it clean my bathroom taps etc,

thats great, if I get ppl knocking on the door asking for a large portion I will chuckle!! Where can I get it from? I am only near a tesco or Aldi, Liddl etc.

Ok, so we are getting there! All weekend they were together in the kitchen. There was some humping, chasing etc but it all went well. We introduced the crate we want them to live in there were a few problems but it settled down. They are not overly happy to be in the crate together but we leave the doors open and they come and go. They are in the kitchen today, alone but the crate is still there but off limits so they can't fight in there. When do I know the time is right for them to be in there together and then when they are happy to be together, what is the next steps re letting them have free range. I am aware that bigger spaces cause problems so how do I introduce them slowly. I really want this to work and we have come so far. There is just that little bit left. Any advice is great. I am so worried about them today but I know splitting them up would take us back and there have been no big fights at all just some pulled fur!!

They were doing so well and its all gone wrong. We left them in the kitchen whilst we were at work yesterday but apart from a bit of fluff all was fine. We got back today and yet more fluff so I started to get worried. I was eating tea and hear a rucus, went to find them having a 'fight' I wouldn't say a big one but Bumble was pulling lots of fluff out and had him up against the cage. We split them up and had a look at them. Smudge has a small bite wound on his back, so we have now seperated again and are back to square one. They were not eating or drinking properly either so we had to make the decision that was best for them. What do I do now, does it mean they can't be bonded? I am too scared to try anything again incase they attack each other, it's just nt fair on them. Please help as I want to know whatis best and where I go from here? xx

to be honest the whole kitchen area is to big, take them for a long ride in the car or for a walk together in the same carrier, then put them in the dog crate and leave them in the dog crate do not give them free space for a good few days

separating and putting back will stress them even more, as will to much interferance

do you have a broom this can be used to help separate without to much interferance, i un screwed the head on mine then put that in the dog crate then, put the handle through the bars and screw it together,
watch them they will chase fight then rest, scatter food instead of useing a bowl so you know they will be eating, put in hay as well line the crate with newspaper, some use a little box i dont at first, as if they do fight it ends up upside down

to be honest the whole kitchen area is to big, take them for a long ride in the car or for a walk together in the same carrier, then put them in the dog crate

separating and putting back will stress them even more, as will to much interferance

do you have a broom this can be used to help separate without to much interferance, i un screwed the head on mine then put that in the dog crate then, put the handle through the bars and screw it together,
watch them they will chase fight then rest, scatter food instead of useing a bowl so you know they will be eating, put in hay as well line the crate with newspaper, some use a little box i dont at first, as if they do fight it ends up upside down
I'm just really nervous as smudge has been bitten. They both came with drawn ans Smudge constantly hid in the corner. It sort of upset me as my beautiful buns became withdrawn and scared. They went in the crate together but there was a huge fight. Am I just being to protective and I should just let them fight. I spoke to a rescue quite a bit about it and she did offer for them to go there but I am not sure how much it will cost then I have to get them settled back here. I'm at my wits end.

Sorry to BUMP this but I really need some help :) I don't want to stress or confuse them furthur and don't want any more injuries.

Hi :wave:

I am sorry to hear things have gone down hill. It sounds quite similar to my two behaving badly! They were fighting and so i had to keep seperating them as captain was getting his hair pulled out and his loppy ears scrathched and seemed very distressed. He seemed to remember the fights also and so would back into the corner defensively and lunge ever time velvet came near.

The fights got worse and were starting to try to lock onto each other and try to fight through the cushion i was seperating them with.

This is when i decided to send them to be bonded elsewere. I diddn't have a small enough neutral enough area is whet i think it came down to and didn't know what to do about the fights and when to seperate and when to continue bonding.

My two deffinatly bennefitted from being bonded elsewhere with an experienced bonder. If you are rattled and losing your confidence i suggest letting someone else take over,. It is very hard when you are emotionally attached to the buns that are fighting and natural to want to protect and be upset by it. An experienced bonder will not have this attachment and will know what is a normal level of violence between them when bonding

Hope you get it all sorted :)

Hi :wave:

I am sorry to hear things have gone down hill. It sounds quite similar to my two behaving badly! They were fighting and so i had to keep seperating them as captain was getting his hair pulled out and his loppy ears scrathched and seemed very distressed. He seemed to remember the fights also and so would back into the corner defensively and lunge ever time velvet came near.

The fights got worse and were starting to try to lock onto each other and try to fight through the cushion i was seperating them with.

This is when i decided to send them to be bonded elsewere. I diddn't have a small enough neutral enough area is whet i think it came down to and didn't know what to do about the fights and when to seperate and when to continue bonding.

My two deffinatly bennefitted from being bonded elsewhere with an experienced bonder. If you are rattled and losing your confidence i suggest letting someone else take over,. It is very hard when you are emotionally attached to the buns that are fighting and natural to want to protect and be upset by it. An experienced bonder will not have this attachment and will know what is a normal level of violence between them when bonding

Hope you get it all sorted :)

Thank you so much for your advice. I have the ladies number that (I think it was you) gave to me and I have been talking to her during the process and she did offer to take them if I felt I could not do it.

I just feel distressed when they are bot being themsleves and it upsets me. I find it hard to see them scared so I have split them up. Bumble came out last night (we live in a rented house) and ate the very expensive wallpaper we have on the wall, in the liddle of them room. I think she was telling me she is not happy with me. :lol: I think sending them to someone experienced is the best idea. I just don't want them to hurt each other. Bunnies... Who would have them, lol!! Do you have any idea how much people charge to bond bunnies. With it being Xmas I don't have loads of free cash.

This is exactly how i felt bonding my two! Worried, protective and rather out of my depths.

My bunnies were bonded for free at HoneyBunny in leicester, i do not know whether this was because velvet was originally from that rescue or whether Jill is just very kind, :). I don't know how much other people ask for bonding...I know some places ask for donations for this. I do not know if this is a fixed minimum however.

Is it a center you have contacted, if so and they may have a rescue page on here it may datail this on their page?

I know how you feel about the wall paper, i also rent and captain has gradually, without me seeing him, eaten a large ammount wall paper under my bed! I will be re wall papering up to bunny height when i move out!!! :lol:

I would ask a few rescue centers near you if they would help you bond in return for a donation. It would be totaly netural and they know exactly what they are doing. :) Good luck.

Back