• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does Anyone know when lionhead rabbits fully grow in their "mane"?

Xowhiteasianxo

Warren Scout
Azlan is about 10 months and he is a lionhead rabbit. Except that he really doesn't have a "mane" like the other rabbits I see. Just really fluffy cheeks! :lol:
072.jpg

073.jpg

Does it look fully grown in to you?

Also, if anyone can tell me anything about Azlan (single man or double mane)it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :wave:

i know that some lose their full mane after they moult around 6 months..some then become maneless!! or carry on with the mane getting bigger!

im no experts in things like breeding but i do recall an article as when i got my bif from the rescue they said she was lionhead cross but i couldnt understand why! its cos her bro had full mane.

my bandit right now has a massive mane but not under his chin..maybe thats a single and a double is also under the chin?

btw...awwwwwwwwwwww:love:

I have one "pure" lionhead (Smirnoff my first bun, came rung). He has virtually no mane - some of my crosses are way, way fluffier:D

my lionhead didnt really look like one at all at 6mths when i got him but now 8mnths later he is a little ball of fluff with beard and fluffy bum. It seems to be growing still ....
It just seemed to spring up!

Hello

Eric and Ernie are Lionhead x mini lop.

As you can see below, Ernie had an incredible mane, but he has lost most of it now, and has little tuffs (no updated pics i'm afraid).

But I think it varies quite a lot wth Lionheads.

I am secretly hoping Ernie mght get his back:)

Mine is 10m and people have commented he looks like a cat with the fur :lol: he just seems to have alot on the top between his ears ;)

Our Womble looks as the same. a loinhead x just a big fluffy wuffy cushion and sooo soft to touch:love: Oh he is about 6months

yeah think all lionheads differ when born some can be really hairy and some can have little mane. teddy was really furry when i first got her but she's lost it all on her back and she's really shiny black, but she has alot still on her mane. alzan looks so cute and wee fur ball. lionheads are brilliant they've got such cheeky wee faces. would love another one.
Eta here's a pic of teds for you to compare to

P1000325.jpg

Last edited:
A double mane is when a lionhead has a traditional mane and a "mane" around their flanks and behind.

I think you generally find that what is left after the first moult stays (except breeding does who pull out their mane and apparently don't re-grow it). I know Azrael grew out her bottom-mane and it hasn't been seen since :(

i think it depends on the wabbit in question.....I know one lionhead who was very fluffy but now seems to have lost it all naming no names BEAMER!). My fat fluff fluff pots got their full main at about 12 weeks and they were really fluffy but looking at mum I expect they will lose a lot of it as they mature.

for comparison this is twix fluff pot at around 12 weeks.

9f53b345-1.jpg

Last edited:
My Cookie is a lionhead and his "mane" was just a few tufts on his cheeks, head and bum. Since he's grew his winter coat he has a fuller mane but it's really really fine hair.

Flopsie has a big floppy fringe that goes behind his/her ears then to a point at the back of his/her head, a big fluffy chest that goes to a point on his/her belly and a bit of a skirt. He's/She's also got fluffy cheeks that make him/her look a bit like a hamster!

Lionheads are far too cute for their own good. I think the problem is that there really isn't any kind of breed standard for Lionheads yet, so the variation in the breed is quite big :)

I think the problem is that there really isn't any kind of breed standard for Lionheads yet, so the variation in the breed is quite big :)

http://www.thebrc.org/lionhead.htm

1 TYPE Cobby well rounded body, head bold with well developed muzzle. Legs of medium length and not too fine in bone. Stance to be high enough to show full chest and mane.

EARS - Not to exceed 3 inches in length. Well covered buyt not furnished. Carried erect.

EYES - Bold and bright, eyes of white, red or blue, in all other colours as per Colour Standard .

2 MANE The mane should be between 2-3 inches in length to form a full circle around the head, extending to a 'V' at the back of the neck falling into a fringe between the ears. Noticeably longer hair on the cheeks and chest
3 COAT The coat to be dense of medium length, roll back and even all over body in Adults. Small amount of extended fur around flanks permissible on under five months exhibits, but not desired
4 COLOUR All colours as long as they conform to a recognised colour and pattern
5 CONDITION The exhibit should be in a perfect state of health and bodily condition, free from all soiling, particularly on feet, ears and genital parts. The coat should reflect the overall good health of the exhibit, which should appear alert and vigorous.

WEIGHT : 3lbs - 3lbs 12oz, 1.7 kgs

FAULTS : Woolly furnishings, head too fine, ears too long, poor colour, long in body. Excessive fur on flanks.

DISQUALIFICATIONS : Malocclusion, furnishing on ears, wall eyes, lack of mane, overweight

Flopsie has a big floppy fringe that goes behind his/her ears then to a point at the back of his/her head, a big fluffy chest that goes to a point on his/her belly and a bit of a skirt. He's/She's also got fluffy cheeks that make him/her look a bit like a hamster!

Lionheads are far too cute for their own good. I think the problem is that there really isn't any kind of breed standard for Lionheads yet, so the variation in the breed is quite big :)

Hahaha, I agree! They are way to cute. That picture of twix gave me a giggle and ted is really gorgeous!

Thanks for all the answers!:wave:

he he I suspect that twix is not breed standard (appart from him lacking male bits) as he's definately got wooley furnishings and excessive fur on flanks.

Flopsie just needs to be a bit bigger and he's pretty good standard :D

Edit: Although I'm really not sure if his colouring is recognised.

Last edited:
Gizmo is a really really fluffy lionhead, and he didnt seem to loose any of his mane when he moulted! he doesnt fit the standard though, as he has brown eyes and fluffy back legs. He has to have the fur between his eyes trimmed too, otherwise its as long as his mane and he cant see properly! He looks like a different bunny after a hair cut!
100_1932.jpg

100_1928.jpg

DSCF2676.jpg

my 3 are very different to each other too! yet all are lionhead or lionhead crosses. Simba was from a lionhead breeder and as a baby at 3months he looked perfect but i wished a bit too hard for him to stay fluffy and now he's like a ball of cotton wool!!! Nala has very fine but dense fur all over. Fifi has longer fur round her mane and very fine fur but also long all over. I have to give all 3 of them a trim between their eyes or they end up with curtains over their eyes and cant see :lol::lol:

Gizmo is a really really fluffy lionhead, and he didnt seem to loose any of his mane when he moulted! he doesnt fit the standard though, as he has brown eyes and fluffy back legs. He has to have the fur between his eyes trimmed too, otherwise its as long as his mane and he cant see properly! He looks like a different bunny after a hair cut!
100_1932.jpg

100_1928.jpg

DSCF2676.jpg

SOOOOOOOO CUTE! :love::love::love:

Back