• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone have any plans for a run?

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
As I'm moving house and I have a HUGE garden :D:D:D Me and my girlfriend are going to make a run for Jamie and Sapphire.

Does anyone have any plans for anything bigger than 8ft x 4ft x 2.5ft? And what kind of wood would I need etc?

Lou x

You just need lots of sawn timber, like this:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Kiln-Dried-Timber/Kiln-Dried-Sawn-Softwood/invt/107118

And you will need some sort of wood treatment safe for rabbits. P@H sell a safe woodstain.

When you buy galvanised weld mesh it usually comes in rolls that are 0.9 meters high which is just a bit less than 3ft so I would recommend you make all the panels this size so that it is easier to attach the mesh, cutting it is a real pain :)

You could probably make most of the panels 6ft x 3ft by just making a rectangle with the timber and then one support in the middle like this:

Code:
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
x     x     x
x     x     x
x     x     x
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The top and bottom panels would need to be slightly different dimensions to the side panels though so I would make the sides and fit them together and then make the top and bottom panels.

I would also recommend some sort of staple gun to make attaching the mesh easier using something like 15mm staples you can just blitz the whole thing rather than hammering them all in individually.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7016183/Trail/searchtext%3ESTAPLE+GUN.htm

ps you will need a LOT of wire mesh so buy it online :p

timb0h - that's pretty much how we made our run

Don't have plans as such, but piccies (see http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=118207&page=2)
It's 6' by 4' floor area, and approx 3' high (the height of the weld mesh).

We used loose-pin hinges for all the joints between panels so it can be dismantled and so it's modular in case we want to replace a panel or make it bigger.:D

I would recommend choosing your woodstain carefully as I got very bored of being orange after doing the hutch and run!:oops::lol:

Good luck with your project:)

Sorry i no i should'nt take over but i wish i'd of known all this when i built mine :lol: what a pain trying to hammer the mesh on :roll: i got my wood from B&Q 12 strips 6ft for around £12 ;) we have a 6x6 run about 3/4ft high and the 12 strips covered it supports and all ;)

We made our run in the same way as Timb0h - making panels the width of the wire and then joining them together. We used the panels vertically though so we can get in the run with them. If you have the space I think this is a good idea, as in big runs it's harder clean them out or spend time with the buns. It also allowed us to use our existing hutch in the run and not worry about attaching them together and keeping the join fox proof.

We screwed our panels together with the idea that if we move we can easily dismantle the run to re-build somewhere else and can add or remover further panels if we want at a later date.

DSCF3309.jpg

You prob know this but if you do use a staple gun make sure its one like timb0h suggested, as the "office-type" staple guns do not use staples strong enough to keep out foxes.

Godd luck with your plans. I loved designing ours!

Back